• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tree Stump Removal

crothmeier

When I've had trees cut down and stumps ground in the past I had a large range in prices so its hard to give an accurate idea.

Most of the quotes I had were for $40-$85 for a smaller stump so for a 30" stump I would guess in the $100-$150 range maybe. But again I would call around and ask for quotes. I'm guessing most will be able to quote over the phone they should just need to know the size of the stump assuming its easy for them to get their equipment to.

It may also depend on where you live. My quotes were from the metro area. You might find lower prices else where.

My guy charges me $1.50 per inch in diameter, with a $50 minimum.

This is a guy that I've been dealing with for years, gave multiple references to, and call him when I have a stump that needs to be ground out in my yard, that whenever he's in the area he can do it.

It might be the next day, it might be 2 months.

Anyways, your $100 sounds like a good estimate.

I rented a 16" stump ginder with a 25 hp self propelled this weekend from the rental place in Mankato, cost was $160 for 24 hours. It took about an hour or so on a 30" stump that was dry and even with the ground, the newer stumps that were still wet took longer. We ended up doing around 20 stumps running the machine or about 18 hours, some of the stumps were smaller 12-14". The machine is fun to run for about the first hour, then after that it was just madness. I would say if you can find some neighbors or friends that have stumps and split the cost with them, it is very cost effective to rent a machine to do it.

I bought a product called stump remover, you need to drill a bunch of 1"+ holes in the stump, put the stump remover in the holes and fill with water, after a couple of weeks, dump some kerosene down the holes of the stump, light on fire and have a few beers.... Not a big fire but burns the stump down to the root tips.. Fill with dirt, drop down some grass seed and after a while no sign of the stump. Kind of a long process but a very cheap way to get rid of stumps..IMO