• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storing my ATV outside?

Cove

I am close to buying my first ATV. Dilemma is...where do I store it? I could possibly park it, very carefully, in garage and snug the car up to it, but tight fit. Or, I could keep it parked under our second story roofed porch, under a tarp, where it would have protection from most sun and direct rain but not from dust, mice, humidity etc. Or, I could build a back yard shed but that has its own pros and cons on a small city lot, with wife luke warm on sheds in the back yard.

I guess my main question is this: Is it crazy to keep a nice ATV outdoors all year long in SE Minnesota? What do most folks do?

if you are worried about theft, take the key out and cable it to the porch or a tree,as far a rodents go,if you drive it every other day or so I wouldnt worry about them, but if you are only going to drive it every 2 weeks then I would worry.

Go to the local big box lumber yard and spring the extra $300 for a shed something like this.

3673_lg.jpg

It is a cheep investment to protect your toy. Just consider it a part of the price of the wheeler.

Dryer sheets, poison (if you don't have children or pets), and traps will keep the mice away

My garage has also become toy storage. Although to be fair my truck doesn't fit in my garage (too long) which is sad because its a crew can short box 1/2 ton. When I had a yukon I could park in the grage as long as I didn't have a hitch on the vehicle.

Hey, thanks for all the comments.

I would feel better, now, with storage outside.

Merkman, where did you pull that picture of that big storage box from. It is all door, which is good. I would definately consider a mini garage like that. Most of them out there have a smaller door and to get a wide enough door you end up with, like, an 8 X 12 shed.

I'm much like others here and both our Jimmy and car stay outside year round while the bike sits inside the garage with all the rest of the fishing and hunting goodies . Come steal my truck but not my bike . LOL

TD

Do you have room to park a small enclosed trailer? Would kill two birds with one stone then. You have a trailer to transport, and a garage to keep it in. I have a 6x10 enclosed and bought it for those two purposes, as I don't have a garage either. Just a thought. Good luck and have fun with your new wheeler. Junky..

Fishing Junky, good thought. When I read your post I thought "shoot! too late" because I had just sold my 6 X 10 foot, open, steel (HEAVY) trailer and ordered a very nice 54 inch X 8 foot open aluminum trailer. But then I started thinking and here is the torchered logic: I have been about to build a shed in the back yard to store ATVs and "stuff". Hard to decide to place a permanant shed on a nice, small back yard. Instead, I could skip the shed, keep the light weight aluminum open trailer which I have other uses for, AND buy a second, covered, trailor, which would be my mobile shed :-). Way more useful that a static shed.

Instead of one open trailer + one shed I have

2 trailers. I'll see how that flies with the little woman.

It works out great for me Cove. I built some nice shelving in the front, as mine has the V-front and also built a 6ft shelf higher up the wall on one side to carry oil bottles and other things. Under that shelf, I have a wooden dowel mounted under it to hang straps and bungees out of the way. On the floor I put down etrack to strap down the wheeler for travel. Everything is built where I can just hook up and go, without worrying about things coming off the shelves going down the road. I just read in another post that you are going with the 550 Grizz. I wish I would have went that route, but went with the 350 grizz IRS, as this is my first machine, and felt it was enough for my needs which was just riding trails up at the lake. So far have been happy with it. My buddies kick my butt on the roads, but on the trail I hold my own. Good luck with that sweet ride. Junky...

Junky, I am going to save your post. The organization sounds great. This is my goal at midlife, when time off is at an essence. Want everything ready to foll.

It was the Sportsman 550 XP EFI with power steering that I have ordered. From what I could gather I will not miss having more power. Lots of good machines around. Had to decide. Will see. My wife likes the enclosed trailer idea over building an 8 X 10 shed too.