• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PerchJerker HDS 5 ???

Muskiebait

Question

I have a minnkota 70 lbs with the transducer in it, I have an x52 hooked up to it right now, speaking to a guy that installs them here in town he says that it is not a compatible transducer, is that true, is there a simple fix, other than running the wires down the side and putting the clamps on it, would i be able to swap out the transducer that is already in the minnkota or is there interchangeble wireing.... thanks..

9 answers to this question

If I understand what you're saying ----- you're using an x52 with your Universal Sonar right now and you want to know if you can use an HDS-5 with the Universal Sonar? The answer is yes you can, you just need to have the right cable to connect the HDS to the trolling motor. The cable is about $30, and you need to know if you have Universal Sonar or Universal Sonar 2 to make sure you get the right cable. I can help with that, let me know if there's anything I can do. You can use the email in my signature if you want.

I thought the new Lowrance HDS units used dual-cone transducers (83/200 KHZ or 50/200 KHZ). I also thought that the Universal sonar transducers in the MinnKota and Motorguide trolling motors were single-cone (200 KHZ). If this is true, they would not be compatible, right?

I thought the new Lowrance HDS units used dual-cone transducers (83/200 KHZ or 50/200 KHZ). I also thought that the Universal sonar transducers in the MinnKota and Motorguide trolling motors were single-cone (200 KHZ). If this is true, they would not be compatible, right?

The broadband technology allows standard 200khz ducers to be used at 83khz as well. The HDS units can use pretty much any recent lowrance ducer.

The broadband technology allows standard 200khz ducers to be used at 83khz as well. The HDS units can use pretty much any recent lowrance ducer.

That is correct.

muskiebait - if your motor has universal sonar and is more than a few years old it would be US1, not US2.

would that work? I believe the motor is a 2006 model year 70lb i just need to know if that would work without having to change transducesrs, and if so what am i lacking in not having the dual transducer?? thanks....

Sounds like it will work just fine, the only question is which 30 dollar connecting cable you will need to buy.

Is there a way to tell if you have the US 1 or 2?

Worst case is that you buy both cables, and then take the one back that you didn't need.