• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Going to Milwaukee Sunday for a landscape job and some fencing install that will last 4 or 5 days. Last day were there the general contractor is taking some of us subcontractors out on a charter. Never been out there so I don't know what to expect. Not even sure where were headed out from.

I got mixed reports on what were targeting could be Steelhead or salmon I'm not sure.

So any ideas what I can expect?

Right now over in that area there are good runs of coho being caught, steelhead and browns are also active and an occassional king or laketrout can show up in the catch as well depending on the water targeted. The lisc and greatlakes stamps are all taken care of in the cost of the charter. Basically, you show up, sign lisc and stamps get out on the water and wait for a rod to start bouncing. Many charters will supply soft drinks on board but typically you will be responsible for your own food and any alcoholic beverages that you might want to bring along. Tackle, rods and everything needed to fish is supplied on the boat. Hope that helps.

Tunrevir~

Last year we hit the wind, so it doesn't hurt to bring along some dramamine. We had a few in our party who were down and out. Hopefully you can catch some Kings!!!

I have never done the charter but went out a number of times 10+ years ago. It can get to be a long day if there aren't many strikes. The rigs are self-setting - the charter captain sets them up and you sit and wait for a rod to trip - indicating a strike. Typically you have established a rotation rather than have a person tend a particular rod. If it's your turn and you tie into a big one you're lucky. If it's a false trip you're SOL. Sun screen, something decent to eat, keep the booze to a minimum cause the wind can come up and it can get to be a rough ride. Sunglasses, a hat, maybe a rain suit if you go out early or there's fog/rain. Camera. Maybe even a book.

Hope you enjoy the company of the folks you're with, and that you have an enjoyable and safe trip.

Typically you have established a rotation rather than have a person tend a particular rod. If it's your turn and you tie into a big one you're lucky.

That's what we did and the rest of the guys were pulling in 6 to 15 pounders. Here's what I got when my turn came up. grin

Snoozefish2.jpg

Thanks all, now I know what to expect. Gonna be fun sun shine or rain. I like being prepaird and I tend to over pack but this time I'll leave the kitchen sink but not the AA suit ya never know 93 today 40 tomarrow.

Well I didn't get to many pictures on the boat as the fishing was pretty slow, a cold front was coming through and it shut things down from the day before where they were getting 20 to 30 4 year old Cohoes and a few Kings.

We were only out for 5 hours starting at 5 am and only ended up with 5 fish, 2 Kings 1 Cohoe and a 2 Lake trout.

The charter service opted out of taking pictures of holding the fish in the boat in case we were on a mess of fish. So all I have really is a couple pictures of a group holding them on dock side.

Found it very exciting even though the fish were not biting. Plan on going back in hopes of getting into a mess of them. I really want to get into a nice sized King as the stories that are told sound exhausting and exillerating.

IMG_0074.jpg

Makes its all that more memorable when fishing with great people

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Very cool pics! I have a couple like that that I just love. Looks like you got a few so that is good. If you want to get into the Kings head over to Algoma or Keewaunee in July for some larger Kings, steelhead and maybe a coho or two. Typically the 4th of July the bite over there gets going. I have heard a few guys are starting to pick up some kings already but slow for the most part. Thanks for reporting back about your trip out, great pics!

Tunrevir~