Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
micpic

Pishing Redstarts

5 posts in this topic

I only had a little time to go down to the river and look for Warblers. Using no blind or wearing camo, I was able to pull four female Redstarts within photo distance. I did'nt realize this one answering me until I downloaded.

Mike

3546768877_ef222ec135_o.jpg

Isn't she sweet! Was she saying "it's supposed to sound like this buddy?"

Nice Mike!...I agree that "pishing" really works at times!...Earlier this spring I "pished" expermentally when a small group of chickadees were in the branches close by...one actually tried to land on on my head or tripod and flared away at the last second....not exactly sure what pishing does to a bird ...either maybe a "fight" response or "curiousity" response but it does certainly work at times....not "all" the time of course...interesting behaviour...it makes a bird nervous for sure as you can see the birds nervously fluffing it's feathers and turning it's head side to side repeatedly in an excited way...

Interesting, I went out on the deck and pshht pshht pshht and a chikadee flew over right away to see what's up. I read a little about it on line. It also says to kiss the back of your hand few times. I've been whistling at birds for years but these 2 ways might even be better.