• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Repainting my sled

Azrael

Last season I rolled my sled and demolished my hood. I found a used one in decent shape. However, I would like to repaint it and put on new decals and don’t know where to start on preping it. How do I easily remove the old decals? Do I need to sand down the whole hood to remove the old paint or just the rough spots? And what type of primer should I use, will any do?

I’ve got a pretty decent paint sprayer to use. I also figure if I’m going to go that far I want to repaint the tunnel to. Would I also need to remove all the paint from that too?

Heat gun works great for taking off decals,don't get it too hot though doesn't take much. If the glue doesn't come off with the decals lacquer thinner removes it fairly quick. No need to remove all the paint just needs to be scuff sanded to give the topcoat something to etch to. Wouldn't go with anything more aggressive than 360 grit and the maroon plastic scuff pads work great for getting into the grooves where paper can't reach well. Use a self etching primer being you are painting the tunnel and that'll be fine for the hood too. I'd highly advise using a sealer coat before painting also.