• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting lower unit

hovermn

Question

Anyone repainted their lower unit? What kind of prep did you do to the aluminum before priming? How did the paint hold up? After reading a little about painting now, what's more recommended, Aluminum etching primer, or Green Zinc Chromate Primer?

The motor I just picked up spent most of its life sitting at a dock, and a good chunk of paint is gone from the waterline down. I'm not trying to make it look brand new (least that's what I say now....) I'd just like to make it look half way decent. Looks pretty bad now.

2 answers to this question

if you want to make it brand new your best bet would be to either sand the whole motor down, or sand blast it so its shiney and etched- no paint.. get a quality primer and a epoxy based paint, 2 coats will make it show room quality again and increase the $$$$$$ of the motor

Not sure who makes it, but you can buy spray paint that is the exact color match to original paint for most motors. Check with your local marine dealer for ordering. I believe they can get it from their Bell catalog.

Just sand the lower unit to remove dirt, corrosion, and crusty old paint and wipe clean

To really make it look nice, loosen the lower unit bolts and drop the lower unit down 1/8" or so, tape off the upper with masking tape and spray the lower

Someone who is good with a spray can will be able to make it look almost original with a couple of coats.

Steve