• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable question?

shefland

Question

I ha ve had several Traps thru the years, the newer styles with the poles that extend and then snap into the holes give me problems, usually when you are cold and picking up, if you bend that aluminum at all you are screwed on extending or retracting the poles. Anybody know of a lubricant of some type that would not freeze or be to messy to make this job easier? graphite maybe?

7 answers to this question

shefland
I just assembled my new fish trap last week when i went to slide the poles in i noticed there were some small burr's on the inside of the pole. i took a rat tailed file and reemed the inside of the poles out to take the burr's off. i figured while i was at it i gave them a couple extra stroke's to taper the insides a little bit. they slide great now. the instuction's say to wax the poles with car wax, haven't done that yet but don't know if i need to now.

The paste type car wax is the way to go. While it helps lubricate the poles, it also helps deter oxidation of the aluminum, and thusly the sticking problem.

If you're worried about wax and other lubes getting stiff in the cold. Try spray on graphite of another spray on called "slip plate". It will discolor your pole a little (it is black in color)but this stuff puts WD40 back in the dark ages because it is dry and doesn't collect dirt. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Waterbeater (edited 11-22-2002).]

If you have a machinery dealer near you they will most likely have slip plate. It is used alot on combines and planters and is sprayed on the inside of grain trailers so the grain will slide out.