Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slimngrizzly

New Batteries????

9 posts in this topic

I need to get new deep cycle batteries. Ive had mine for 6 years and they dont hold a charge anymore. Now I know these new Optimas are the big deal but im not going to spend that much on batteries.

What im wondering, Is there a difference between the AC Delco, Interstate, Fleet Farm, Walmart, etc. marine batteries??? Do I go to Walmart and get whats cheap, or is it really worth a FEW extra bucks for a name brand battery?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have had good luck with batteries from NAPA unsure of the name, in the 725 cca size. Ran me about $90 a battery. I have used the everstart batteries from Wal-mart and have only gotten 2 maybe three years out of them, they are also very prone to freeze in winter so they must be taken out every winter (which is a good policy with any battery unless leaving a onboard charger hooked up all winter to maintain).

FWIW, I used to fish and hunt with a Tire and Battery warehouse manager (he died last year), and he used to teach about those things. Basically, he said get whatever is heavier... it means it has more lead... if it is a classic lead/acid battery. Basically, brand didn't matter. Also, don't worry about storiing on concrete, as that is how it is done at the factory, etc. Just charge them up as soon after you use them as possible, and keep an eye on the water level, and don't let them freeze - charge them once per month and they won't freeze. I too use a onboard charger, but don't let it plugged in over the winter, you will boil the batteries no matter what the charger manual says... we have three different brand chargers and each will boil the batts if left too long (i.e. over winter). Just our two cents though...

Good luck.

Box, if the onboard charger has a float/maintain mode, that certainly cannot boil 'em if you leave it hooked up, can it?

Yeah, they all say they won't, and really they "should not", but anybody who has used them long enough ends up plugging them in for a few days a month over the winter, then unplugging them, as they have most likely seen boiled down batteries. I have on three different brands. I like all the brands, and they work great in the summer leaving them plugged in - cause they get used, or they should, often wink

But winter is another story, in my book anyway. But I am not a battery expert, and as some folks signature says, "Your milesage may vary..." smile

I love my Interstates and their service has been second to none.

what service did you have on your batteries Steve? I need a new dual purpose this week

I had very good results with Stowaway brand (made by Exide, afaik).

I have used Trojan batteries for the last 10 years with very good results. Buy them at any Batteries Plus store. I also use a 1.5 amp motorcycle battery charger on them over the winter. Hook it up in the fall and forget about it till spring. I have been getting 5-7 years per battery.