Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maddowg1192000

2 line- pass or no pass????"

33 posts in this topic

I am just wondering if anyone knows what happened with this bill? I know that the session is almost done but havent heard anything about this.

No pass. It was passed in the House version of the Game and Fish bill, but then the Senate took a chainsaw to the bill and put in their own language.

Non-residents can now spear in MN though, and that means Minnesotan's can spear in ND too.

how many years is this going to get thrown out right at the end of the session, its getting pretty retarded now. The spearing thing is just stupid, how many northern do people need to spear that our season isn't long enough they have to go to north dakota to spear them after our season closes. I wish spearing would have stayed resident only, I know I can spear what i want in a season.

The push for the non-resident spearing came from people who were visiting and couldn't go spear fishing with their family, friends, etc. It was a pretty lame law to begin with and it's good they cleaned it up.

In the end the effect will be minimal mainly due to the few number of non-residents that will actually spear in MN.

I am all for that, I just figured people were trying to extend their seasons. The reason I wish the 2 line would pass is there are plenty of times I am in areas where it would come in handy. I was all for a stamp or something you would have to buy to be able to do this. maybe next year

The latest - guess our senators didn't want us to use two lines in open water. Maybe we need somes new ones.

Omnibus game, fish bill on its way to the governor Published (5/18/2009)

The omnibus game, fish and forestry bill is on its way to the governor following passage of a conference committee report by the House and Senate.

Sponsored by Rep. David Dill (DFL-Crane Lake) and Sen. Satveer Chaudhary (DFL-Fridley) HF1132*/SF1110 was passed by the House and Senate 113-15 and 51- 13, respectively.

It includes several new provisions pertaining to fishing. For example, persons age 90 and older could fish without a license. A Senate provision to allow for the importation of golden shiner minnows as bait, which the Department of Natural Resources opposed, failed. Lifetime spearing licenses for residents were added to the list of provisions and would cost between $173 and $372 depending upon the angler’s age. Fishing contest organizers could avoid the permit process if these additional conditions are met: 25 or fewer boats are competing, if the contest is limited to rough fish or if the total prize value is $500 or less. Let’s Go Fishing of Minnesota would receive $300,000 for the next biennium for outreach grants to help establish new chapters of the community program.

A couple of hunting changes were approved, such as allowing uncased firearms and bows in vehicles **while hunting**, **except in Anoka, Hennepin and Ramsey counties. Free deer licenses would be available to discharged service men or women.

Buses carrying students on school-sanctioned trips to state parks would no longer be charged park admission.

The Northshore Trail between Duluth and Two Harbors also would be renamed in honor of C. J. Ramstad, an outdoor enthusiast and publisher who was killed in a motor vehicle accident.

****The House language to allow anglers to use two lines when fishing was removed from the bill, as was a provision for baiting bears on private land.****

I don't get it, out of staters wanting to spear here had more push than sportsmen of the state wanting to use two lines?

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. frown

As noted above, out-of-staters spearing will have little impact on the fisheries. You can't necessarily say that with fishing with 2 lines.

Thank you, State of MN, for not passing this!

Wasn't there language in the house bill to allow spearing fish of any size in lakes that currently have a slot on northerns? Did that make it through?

Steve

I thought they would come to some kind of compromise on the darkhouse spearing of slot limit lakes issue.

But they didn't.

The current law is broke and needs fixing, even though I don’t agree with what was proposed by the house I thought it was a good step in the right direction to at least come up with something better than the current law.

My hats off to the legislature for fixing the non-resident darkhouse spearing problem though.

I will be able to teach my nephew who lives in AZ how to darkhouse spear when he comes up this Christmas and I will get to go darkhouse spearing with a friend of mine who was a Minnesotan all his life then had to move out of state for work.

Good Job and a big thank you for everyone who had a part in that!!

its just to bad that they can oven take care of more then one thing at a time ......

fishing 2 lines wouldnt effect the fisheries. thats why there is bag limits in place. if they feel it would they should lower the bag limit. How often do u hear of ppl slamming a bag limit between a few guys. rarely. And if the saying holds true that of all the fisherman on a lake only 10% of them are catching fish then 2 lines shouldnt be a problem. As far as 2 lines during ice fishing, does 2 lines make u catch more fish? most of the time no its just the dead stick or ur jigging stick that gets hit all the time. The action is never soooo hot that u cant keep both lines in the water at the same time. With the stamp, i would gladly pay the extra what 5$? for the stamp in order to use 2 lines.

i wouldnt even care if they held off the two lines till later in the season in order to let the so called easy spring pickin calm down a bit

You aren't going to get much on that argument Stifler, been said many times. I don't understand it. I say take the two lines away in the winter if it hurts the fisheries that dang much.

Are you guys really still complaining about not being able to use 2 lines in the open water season? It has always been this way, and should always remain this way. Technology in the fishing industry is not stopping with future advancements and you guys want to use 2 lines. Can you get any more selfish?

interesting convo here, would be interesting to see really stats on 2 lines vs 1 line

Are you guys really still complaining about not being able to use 2 lines in the open water season? It has always been this way, and should always remain this way. Technology in the fishing industry is not stopping with future advancements and you guys want to use 2 lines. Can you get any more selfish?

your funney lol ..... then how come in allmost ever other state you can have more then one line and you can have 2 in mn in the winter ....i know in wis. you can have a lot i dont know the # becouse i have never open water fished there but come on hanson times change and so do laws why should thinks allways stay the same ???? like gordon ramsay said "change or die"

rules change all the time there is NO way things could just stay the same or we all would be left behide by the rest of the u.s.

i think 2 lines would be fine, im not for it or against it.

but i think there would have to be regulations on it.

like you can only use 2 lines when you are trolling, bottomfishing, or float fishing. but if you are casting, only 1 should be allowed.

im love fishing for carp and cats, so 2 lines would be pretty nice. but i do fine with just one. and i can live with just one.

Originally Posted By: DHanson

your funney lol ..... then how come in allmost ever other state you can have more then one line and you can have 2 in mn in the winter ....i know in wis. you can have a lot i dont know the # becouse i have never open water fished there but come on hanson times change and so do laws why should thinks allways stay the same ???? like gordon ramsay said "change or die"

rules change all the time there is NO way things could just stay the same or we all would be left behide by the rest of the u.s.

HA!! A quote from Gordon Ramsey.. hilarious. With the advancement of technology there are going to be cons with a switch to two lines, but are they going to be a detriment to our great fisheries we have in Mn.. I don't think so.

Oh yeah and carpman, it would be pretty weird trying to use two poles while casting!! HAHA

I know what I said might be offensive to some and I apologize if I did offend anyone, but come on how long have you guys been going on and on about this, typing the same thing over and over. I know I can choose not to read it and that's what I will probably do from here on out, but how long are you guys going to say the same thing over and over?

2 sounds like a happy medium to me - 3 here in WI is a bit overkill and 1 is lacking IMO.

Technology like Sideimaging and HD sonar makes catching fish alot easier, keep it at 1 line!

I can hardly keep my eye on one line, much less two! [PoorWordUsage] ADD.

I have read technology is a reason not to let people use 2 line but how about us that fish from shore with no boat no sonar and all that stuff. Some of only have a few rods for diffrent spieces and a small tackle box with some basics to fill it. If is fine to use 2 in the winter then why not 2 in the summer. Sometimes simplfiing the rules is easier then making new rules.