• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sump Pumps and Water

schmoe147

I'm just curious as to how many people have a sump pump in there basement that runs year around. I'm looking into purchasing a new home and when I asked about the sump he told me that it does run year around. This seems a little strange to me, The land doesnt appear to be a swamp or anything just wondering if I should have some concern about it and if anyone else has a sump that runs year around. If you do have one that runs year around do you still have any water problems or not ?

First thing I'd take a hard look at is the slope/exterior drainage design around the house. If no gutters, that could also be a major culprit right there. Could be an easy fix with some preventative maintenance.

I had a sump hole that didnt hve a pump in it until I bought the house. I had to put a pump in it since it was going to be sealed for Radon. Has not run yet... (house is 9 years old)

Now the house down the street has a pump running constantly.. I would guess every 5 minutes or so. Makes a huge ice mess in the winter since it runs down her driveway to the street.

I think I would avoid it. Id think a power outage could be awful!

Simply put, drainage of surface water shouldn't be allowed to run into a basement. Proper grading and gutters with downspouts run away from the house isn't hard to do.

Continually running sump pump year round is more then surface water. I'd imagine there is a spring, water running on top ledge rock, or just plane old water table.

Don't know if I'd be comfortable in a house with that problem.

I'd need some reassurance that this was addressed when the basement was put in. Building a home and running into this is one thing, buying a home with this is another. At any rate its a negative.

Even though the sump is keeping things dry in the basement, its how many years before the system in place silts in or fails that is an unknown?

Sometimes you are just in a high water table. My pump runs a lot, but even when I lost power, the water did not go over the basket (whew!!) If you can, ask the neighbors if they have the same situation.

If you buy this, (Big If), you will need a couple backups for the sump. One short term and the other long term. Remember, the time it fails is when you need it most, like a power outage during a heavy rain. Also, I would recommend installing two pumps (have switch for on set higher so it won't run unless the first one fails).

In the winter mine runs to drain the condensate from the furnace the excess from the humidifier. Maybe that's all that it is in the winter. If it is actually pumping out water that comes from the ground I would have to agree that it's something to steer clear of. You can buy a commercial 12 volt backup pump system for maybe $3-400, but I think the real issue is the ultimate deterioration of the foundation, floor or footings from all the water.

Interesting enough, my girlfriend who owns her own house, was concerned about her sump pump constantly running. I took a look into the basket and notice there were two holes in the bottom of the basket where water was bubbling in. The water would fill the basket (with about three gallons) causing the sump pump to drain it out approx every 3-4 minutes. I thought this was very strange.....it almost seems there is an underground spring flowing under the house. Sometimes the water flows in faster, sometime slower.

This was alarming to me, as I have never seen this before. Not sure if someone made the holes in the bottom of the basket or if they were there when the basket was installed. Regardless, watching the water flow in, like it does, makes me feel uneasy. If the sump pump failed, or becomes inoperable during a black out, there may be wet basement issues. As an FYI, she purchased the home with this situation. Is this something that should have been disclosed? I may recommend for her to invest in a back up battery. Has anyone seen this before where there are holes in the bottom on the sump pump basket?

When I bought the basket there were only holes for the line that drained the perimeter of the house. You can buy a commerially made 12 volt backup for a $2-300. I have two baskets and pumps in my system and so I just bought a large boat sump pump and rigged it up so it can be hooked to a hose and run off a 12 volt battery. I guess it's a gamble about whether the power goes out while we're not around.

the water running in seems really strange. something isnt right there. If there is a spring, then the previous owner DEFINITLY knew about it, otherwise the holes wouldnt be in the bottom of the sump pail. my fist thought was a broken water main or something, but that wouldnt explain the holes in the sump pail.

how high is the water table in that area? are you close to a swamp/lake/river? does she have a full basement or 1/2 basement (lookout i call it)

the sump might be below the water table. i duno.