• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size Bow Mount trolling motor

Wormdrowner

Assuming you go with Minn Kota (and you should imo), the options are Copilot, Autopilot, and/or Universal Sonar. Universal Sonar is a built-in transducer so you don't need to mount an external transducer to the motor. Copilot is a remote control for speed and direction (hands not feet), Autopilot is an automatic steering control based on a magnetic compass. All of those options are popular with lots of anglers, but it really depends on what/how you fish and how you like to control the motor.

If you are going to use 1 battery you're looking at a 12 volt 55lb motor, but you would be better off with a 2-battery 24-volt motor with 70 or 80 lbs of thrust. Sylvans typically have high bows so you would want a 54" or 60" shaft.

I'm assuming you want an electric steer motor, not a cable steer like the Maxxum or Fortrex. In electric steer motors you can choose betwen the PowerDrive V2 and the Terrova. Very similar motors, the noticable differences are in the style of the foot control and the stow/deploy mechanism. Both are good motors, the Terrova is more popular, the PowerDrive is a bit cheaper.

Both the PowerDrive and the Terrova have rebates on them right now.

You can check out the motors and the rebates HERE. And just an fyi, we can order longer shaft motors than we list on the HSOforum - for example, if you want a 60" motor we can get it for you at a good price.

Hope that helps, have fun shopping.

Very good post by PerchJerker. I would get the 70# Powerdrive as the 80# Terrova is $300 bucks more and not worth the extra $$ IMO.

If you don't plan to fish in windy conditions you could get away with the 55# and you only would need one battery.

Steve

It also depends on the weight of your boat. By Crestliner weighs 1250 without gear. I have a 55 lb Powerdrive, and it pushes the boat very well, even in the wind. I can't go with more power because my battery compartment will only fit one battery, but I wouldn't need the extra power anyway. A heavier boat might need something bigger, though.

Since you have a kicker I would think that a PD55 would suit you fine. I recently upgraded form a PD55 to a #80 Terrova on my 17' Sylvan. I troll cranks a lot and did not want to add a kicker. The new Terrova ran 7hrs going 1.5-2 mph. In my opinion the Terrova is well worth the extra $300 if you are comparing the 2, 24v models. The stow/deploy is much better on the Terrova and over all the motor seems to be built a little more heavy duty. A 54" shaft should be sufficient assuming your Sylvan is one of the fishing models.

That being said; if you can afford the 24V motor and have room for 2 batteries go with the #80 Terrova. While the PD55 will probably do the trick I believe you would be happier with the Terrova.

I purchased mine thru ProFishingSupply and I'm very happy with the service and the product.

Unless Minnkota changed their foot pedals and made them more durable, I would go with the cable drive system. I'm on my fifth pedal in 4 years. They short out all the time. PerchJerker, do you know if they changed their poor design?

Go with a 24 volt system in the 70# range. It will last longer than a 12 volt 55#. That will be needed on windy days or when fighting current a lot.

Get the auto pilot and co- pilot and mount a ducer on it instead of universal sonar.

Id go with the 70# - V2 - 24v. Was out in the 40+ MPH wind yesterday, ran at almost max for 5 hours, only used 1/4 the battery power.

I wouldn't under power it with a 55# even though you have a kicker.

07 Alumacraft Trophy 180. So shes no small beast.

Unless Minnkota changed their foot pedals and made them more durable, I would go with the cable drive system. I'm on my fifth pedal in 4 years. They short out all the time. PerchJerker, do you know if they changed their poor design?

I don't know of any changes to the foot pedals. Personally I've used Minn Kotas for years and never had a single problem with a foot pedal.

I've got a 16ft. Sylvan Backtroller that I mounted a Minn Kota Powerdrive 55lb. Co-Pilot on and I really enjoy it 90% of the time. I would stick to a longer shaft as has been suggested because of how high the bow is. While 55lb. is nice, if I could do it over I would bump it up to 70-80 to handle some stronger current. Having the Co-Pilot is a very sweet feature too if you've got your hands tied with the kids, tying lures etc. I've had the motor for 4 years now and have only had to replace the controller board which seems to be a common problem.

With a 17' Sylvan, deep and wide...if you are the kind of fisherman who needs to hold a boat on a spot on a windy day I would recommend minimum 24V 70lbs.

I had a 17' Alumacraft with a 50lb 12V and it wouldn't hold the boat very long, or effectively in windy conditions. There wasn't a 55lb at the time of my purchase, but I doubt 5 lbs is going to make a big difference. I should have went 24V from the beginning.

I recently purchased an 80 lb Terrova 60" AP/US2 from PerchJerker. I will say this motor is so nice compared to my older Powerdrives I've owned, and I'm impressed. Very quiet and smooth operation. Check out what Dave has at Pro Fishing Supply for great prices and service. If he doesn't have it he can likely get it (like this 60" shaft Terrova).