• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best way to tie boat to dock when parking vehicle

vikingmeatwad

Take 2 short pieces of rope and tie loops big enough to make it over the dock cleats and about 3' long that you can tie to the boat.

For the record I just beach my boat off to the side, keeps dock space open for everyone, but I realize this isn't an option for all people.

I keep all my dock lines tied on one end with a Bowline knot. Easy to tie, and very easy to untie. I usally put that through the cleat on the boat around the dock pole and back to the cleat.

However, you shouldn't be tieing up to the launching dock, most parks have rules against it and if the launch is busy you'll be holding up everyone else.

I curse under my breath everytime I see the guy tie his boat to the dock floating over the ramp and then drive off while I sit in line with my truck idleing.

How else is a guy by himself supposed to load/unload?

I agree. Not many ways around this. I like to use bungee straps on my front and back cleats that can tie-off to the dock within a few seconds after she floats. Pull the trailer out, unhook the bungee's and away ya' go.

I heard a good one - (I think it was from FM last year). The guy drops his bow mount with co-pilot - drives it out a ways - drives his truck out - walks back and brings it back in with the co-pilot.

Don't know if they have that range - but it's a fun idea.

How else is a guy by himself supposed to load/unload?

Leave the boat anywhere on the lake except floating over the ramp. Get help, or beach it away from the ramp. If tieing up to the launching dock is the only option they I guess it's the only option however most metro parks have rules against it.

You are telling me that it takes less time to drive my truck up to the ramp, get out and walk over to somewhere else on the lake that I had to leave my boat, start my boat back up, drive over to my trailer and load up? Sorry, but I will tie off to the dock away from the ramp and let others wait. I know that they are going to do the same thing when they come off the lake, so there should be no reason for "cursing under their breath".

I used to go through a trailer winch rope every few years with my last boat (they fray under the tension). When they need to be replaced I keep the hook with the snap closure that attaches to your boat. I reattach this to some good line, preferably one with a little stretch.

Run your boat to the dock, throw out the boat saver floats on the dock side. I run the two lines around a dock pole and clasp to the line using the winch hook. Then pull boat in snug and cleat the bow and stern. Boat can't go anywhere and best of all, no dock rash!

Waiting an extra three minutes to get the truck is not a big deal in my book. I take some satisfaction in trailering the boat safely and efficiently when I'm doing it alone. If 180 seconds is going to ruin someones day at the ramp, then so be it.

I agree. Life is too short to get upset at something so little as waiting to load/unload your boat.

If someone is in that much of a hurry to get out, they should have been at the landing earlier. The fish aren't going anywhere, and will still be in the lake when you get to your spot. I try and teach my children patients, and this is hard when an older gentleman is yelling obscenities at someone that is taking too long to load or unload the boat. crazy

Just my 2 cents.

I launch my boat by myself more often then not. When I see another boater that is by him or herself I lend a hand as to make it easier. I know i allways appriciate when someone helps me. Lets all slow down and enjoy life!

I agree 100%, I fish alot by myself and if you are cursing under your breathe for a couple minutes so be it,I have waited for others before and it is no big deal, unless they can't back their trailer then it gets a little irritating smile

I can wait a few minutes for somebody else, so I think somebody else can wait a few minutes for me. It's not like I'm standing at the landing, socializing with everyone, building a campfire, drinking a beer, and doing whatever. I'M PARKING MY VEHICLE FOR GOD'S SAKE!

I agree that waiting at the landing is no big deal for me and people that get angry because they have to wait 2-3 min. should either relax or fish at times when no one else is around.

That said, there's some gray area here. If there's a line of 6 trucks/trailers waiting to launch or trailer their boat, I would get a little frustrated with someone who tied their boat up on the launch side of the dock. You'll have to wait in line behind those other 6 anyway, so why not tie up on the non-launch side of the dock (if available) or beach the boat off to the side rather than prevent everyone else from launching until you get there. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but I didn't see this scenario mentioned.

We've all been at the landing at the same time as 10+ other boats and whatever your style of launching/trailering if everyone would be patient and use some common sense it'll help the "flow" and be better for everyone.

Just my two cents.

I keep all my dock lines tied on one end with a Bowline knot.

This is a post about dock knots, not loading/unloading etiquette. I agree with Muskie Junkie (above) and use a bowline knot to create a loop at the end of my dock ropes. If there is a post I just throw the loop over the post and walk away. If there are cleats, I'll run the line under/through the cleat and then pull it around the cleat.

One might be able to use a noose-type knot.