• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starter problem-Gear

scsavre

1988 75hp outboard wouldnt start. opened up the cover and noticed the starter gear on top of the starter was missing the flywheel. because of this the gear actually stripped out. It will turn the flywheel but not enough. i bought a new gear piece, but cant get the old one off. do i need to take off the flywheel to get it off? i dont know how to take the flywheel off. I dont think i have the tool to remove it. is ther any other way.

any help would be appreciated. Im gonna put the boat and motor up for sale and want to make sure everything is running first.

yep, i loosened the starter and got it out from under the fly wheel. thanks. now i just need it to start. it is kind of doing a running while starting thing. it sounds like it is kind of running, but when i stop turning the key it quits running.. i am going to try it agian in a few minutes. no idea what is wrong. Plugs are clean. i last ran it 2 years ago and had trouble keeping the ball hard. i found a small leak right by the fuel filter, thinking that was that problem.

got it running, made some adjustments to a few things. i couldnt get it started until i opened up the cover over the valves though. let it sit an hour and the some thing. only started initially when i had that cover off. what would the reason be.

Yes the air box covering the carbs. i took the boat out last night and it still doesnt idle low very good. kills when going slow. also when i was trying to go fast it was kind of jumping back and forth. like one of the cylinders was turngin on and off. that got better as i went though.

today it was back to not wanting to start.

what is a small ammount?? when my stuff sits around for a long time i put a whole can of it in the tank and mix 32 to 1 for the first tank usually it will cleean the stuff out.. but your best bet is clean the carbs and replace plugs..

A good carb cleaning -

You can try the seafoam method as described above to see if that does the trick.

If it doesn't it's time to remove the carbs, take everything apart and make sure the carbs are clean.

marine_man

i only treated 2 gallons of gas and used the amount the can said, which was 2 ounces or something. i will try it again, making it more potenet, and getting new plugs.

then i will try to take the carbs out and clean them. i hope it is easy, cause i have never done that before.

like i said i am just going to sell the fishing boat. but want to make sure it is running good. dont want to disapoiny a buyer.

i dont know what the problem is, I cant get it to start now. i checked plugs, there sparking. i replaced the old ball and fuel lines, and a small fuel line by the gas filter.

i guess i have to take apart carbs. I noticed htere is a small amount of fuel, a couple drops after trying to start. under neith the bottom carb.

How to take apart carbs, just losten what i see to get to em, i guess. maybe ill post a pic.

You have to take the carbs apart - remove the needles, take apart everything, clean them out and put them back together.

Prior to removing any needles be sure to count the number of turns it takes to bottom the needles out, and be sure to reset the carb to that setting when you put it back together.

marine_man

Carb Cleaner. And no, you won't be able to just wipe them down. You'll need compressed air and carb cleaner and need to make sure all the passages and internals of the carb are clean and clear of any debris or varnish deposits.

If this is your first time tearing carbs down I'd seriously consider taking pictures of everything prior to disassembly and during each step of disassembly, that way you've got something to refer to.

I'd also only do them one carb at a time, and be absolutely certain you count the number of turns to bottom out the jet(s) prior to removing them.

It's not a difficult job, but go slow, and be methodical when you do it.

marine_man

Ok, i bought carb cleaner and air. counted the turns. everything inside looks clean, the float flows easily.

im gonna blow em and then let em soak. hopefully that will work.

took pictures too, good idea.

did all of the above, got it running, its idling pretty fast. slowed that down. its smoking alot, but i assume that is the cleaner i put in it. i guess, i will try to run in it in the lake and if all is good, for sale it goes.

Now i tried to start it this am, and nothing again, it wont start. and i noticed quite a bit of fuel coming out of the top carb. what the heck.It didnt do that before.

i rechecked the needles and they were both a half turn open too far. any other ideas.

I checked their spark, looked good yesterday, i am going to replace em, they are 3 years old, they just hadnt really ever been used.

i got it running again. at first it would start for 5 seconds, ideling really fast. then would kill.

i tweekend the needles just a little, to exactly 1.5 turns from tight. Now it runs like a gem again. i dont know.

ill get the plugs and let it sit for a few hours and try again.

thanks again. i dont know anything about boats, just the basics.