• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Shorebirds!"

I had the good fortune to come across a couple of shorebirds which I've never seen before....a pair of American Avocets!...beautiful creatures to say the least....and they let me get quite close for quite a few images(digiscoped from about 50')...a good morning!.... grin

DSCN6504-1copy.jpg

the couple....

DSCN6460-3.JPG

DSCN6534-1.JPG

DSCN6472-1.JPG

resting...

DSCN6537-1.JPG

Thanks everyone!....yes Shawn!...Carey Lake it is and was! grin....every year shore birds of various species use the sandy beach area for resting and feeding...today it was avocets... they were on the beach for a good 3 hours and were still there when I left...somedays it's the yellowleg family...the plovers/killdeer were there also today....but I was really concentrating on these avocets this morning....and literally no one around!...just moi! grin...you are certainly welcome to "come see" anytime!.....

a few more images of these beautiful birds...

DSCN6463-2copy.jpg

DSCN6363-2.JPG

DSCN6443-4.JPG

avocetonthewing.jpg

P1080460-1.JPG

Wow, great shots! I saw them last night at Carey Lake. They were across from the beach where the "Sea plane" dock is. I had no idea what they were, but I do now! I brought my dog swimming down there and we scared them back to the beach side of the lake. You never know what kind of migrants will show up at Carey Lake. I even heard some sticks being hit against trees on my way out...... shocked