Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chasineyes

Special Session

27 posts in this topic

Been kind of quite these last couple weeks of the session on the ol FM site...so here we go. Simple yes or no. Do you think they should be allowed to continually go into a special session year after year???

My vote NO. This to me is considered overtime.

I have no problem with a special session. They do it with no Per Diems, no salary, and no travel expenses.

If I fail to do my job in the time required, I work extra hours until I get it done. Same should hold for them.

They got to get the job done, thats what we pay them for. I understand is a complex situation so if it takes a little longer thats fine but that doesn't mean more pay.

I'm salaried so I get paid the same if I'm here 40 hours or 80 hours, the same should be true for them.

I think getting the job done right is more important then getting the job done quickly. It holds true for almost everything in life.

I guess thats my not so simple YES vote.

yes, give them all, Tpaw and legisl, 3 days to get it together or they all have to go home. This is ridiculous that we wait to the end to get this done. But that is what we have so go extra and get it done. Plus pass law that says all budgets must be passed 1 week before end of session or your fired.

I have no problem with a special session. They do it with no Per Diems, no salary, and no travel expenses.

If I fail to do my job in the time required, I work extra hours until I get it done. Same should hold for them.

Took the words out of my mouth, I'm fine if they do it with no pay. Get your job done in the time allotted. It's no mistery on when it ends every year. Said it in the last post, time to vote them all out.

I'll take the devil's advocate side here. If you don't allow special sessions, then they will be under the gun to slap something together in a rush to meet the deadline and you will get legislation that is even more half-#$$ than it already is.

Sometimes a little more time is better. To allow time for more deliberation and even more public reaction.

They majority has had three months to "slap something together" and have done nothing, absolutely nothing.

Some Senators and Representatives from the minority have introduced bills that would prevent members from receiving the per diem if they go into overtime, knowing months ago that what is happening now would happen. Both bodies voted it down. Go figure.

I wouldn't disagree with you Jarrod if this happened on occasion, but it happens consitantly and they cost us a lot of extra money. They are terrible at their jobs and if we all did that kind of job, unemployement would be at 50% at least.

Criticise Pawlenty all you want but he told them early in the session to get down to business on the budget.

They dawdled around on [PoorWordUsage].

Pawlenty told them not to bring him bills at the last minute full of tax increases because he would veto them. He also told them that if they were going to bring bills full of tax increases bring them early so he could veto early and they could get down to the business of balancing the budget.

They dawdled around the entire session, then brought him bills full of tax increases int the final days, and appeared to be appalled when he vetoed them.

Go figure.

That's what they have done every year since he's been in office. It's out hand the way the two parties do everything they can to stick it to each other without any thought of the the people the are supposed to be working for.

You guys act like you want an efficient government.

Most laws any government passes only seem to restrict us more and more.

A very inefficient government suits me fine.

When asking for an efficient government, be careful what you ask for; you just might get it.

When asking for an efficient government, be careful what you ask for; you just might get it.

yup. the less they get done, the better

Originally Posted By: merkman

yup. the less they get done, the better

Actually balancing a budget is one of those requirements that has to get done. Instead they choose to dabble in all sorts of peripheral stuff while the check book is overdrawn. Yes I do expect some efficiency when it comes to required fiscal matters.

I think the idea of a special session is okay, but they consistently abuse it, and use it the wrong way, so my vote would be no.

No special session.

TheY have mucked it up enough already.

Send em home and let Pawlenty do the prudent thing.

NO.

The only issue I have with Pawlenty is he told them how he wanted it done or he would veto it all. Why did they even go into session if Pawlenty was going to decide anyways?

I didn't realize we had a dictator for a governer.

Sorry Harv,

The Gov finds a billion dollars in tax increases unacceptable.

And frankly, so do I.

All I'm saying is one person should not have control of what is decided. Especially when he dictates what will be acceptable before the session is started.

The gov didn't find it unacceptable, the Governer did.

I believe the senate could overturn his veto if they felt the need. It's all a mess, but I'm on T-Paw's side.

Our elected officals are totally out of control and have no idea what reality is.

What can they do for themselves.

They just met for nearly 5 months and accomplished next to nothing. They had a budget to do and it appears to me that they never even really tried to put together something that the Gov. might sign or something that might attract enough votes for a veto overide.

I love T-Paw......I hope everyone sees how this guy is protecting Minnesotans come election time.

It looks like even the people of California are tired of taxes. They overwhelmingly voted down tax increases in a special election yesterday and not one county voted for them. Not one! Even in the most left-leaning areas of California they were voted down.

I think it froze over somewhere....