Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dave12341234

light food pack list?

9 posts in this topic

Im heading up to the BWCA this summer, and i was wondering if anyone had a lightweight food list idea that they used in the past. maybe even accurate as to up to the ounce. we want to carry just enough food in for us to eat for 6 days, ubt we dont want to waste any. we will be fishing, assuming we catch something. that would cut back on alot of food that we bring in.

What we bring is almost 100% dehydrated food. Then all you need for cooking is a tea kettle. Then each camper takes a small plastic contaner with a lid. We bring ramen noodles(all kinds) instant mashed potatoes, gravy pakets, instant milk, hot and cold cereal, dry pudding packets, minute rice and othe homade dehydrated meals like chile, hamberger and hotdish.

The trick is to consalodate allthe tiny packs into one large ziplock. For example put 10-20 ramen packs into a 1/2 gal ziplock and the flavor packs into another ziplock.

No canned food, no freeze dried no big pots or pans.

For fish you will want to pack some oil in a 20 oz bottle, small frypan, premade dry batter in a zip lock, and some paper towels.

We also have jerky and trailmix to snack on when we a re on the trail/water.

There is a method called "freezerbag cooking" and if you do a search engine, you'll find a web site of the same name. It has recipes and such. It is absolutely brilliant. Nothing lighter and more efficient. The backpackers are huge into this.

Basically, you boil water and rehydrate instant mashed potatos, instant rice, ramen (toss that season packet and use your own) Foil pouch chicken, freeze dried veggies (trader joes, natural food stores etc), I even cook and dehydrate ground venison.

if you look by the tuna and stuff there is chicken that doesnt need to be refigerated and add it to noodles and you cant taste a diff. from anyother- add a little kick to what everyour making

I've found browning lean hamburger (93/7 or leaner), rinsing in it in extremely HOT water to remove extra grease, then dehydrating it works pretty good for using in hamburger helper. No need for a dehydrater if you don't have one. Just set your oven to low heat and keep the door open a bit for moisture to escape. I recommend a book called the Back Country Kitchen by Teresa Maroni (spelling?). Pretty helpful in getting away from the standard freeze dried foods. I do bring some meals of freeze dried myself, along with precooked bacon, hard cheese, salami, some vegetables, jerky, oatmeal, powdered soups, noodles, rice mixes, like broccoli and cheese. I also think the foil packed chicken breasts aren't too bad and easy to use. I like to eat well when camping so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit in the weight department. I always have enough food for the entire time I'm there plus one meal, just in case the fish aren't biting or I get delayed on my exit.

check out the book Lip Smakin Back Pakin, it has a ton of recipees and if I remember corectly it has the detailes weight info you are looking for. A lot of the recipees use dehydrated hamburger as sugested above, and most of it you have to dehydrate yourself, however there are recipees for store bought goods.

Be a bit careful about relying on fish as a meal...That being said, don't forget your hudson bay bread.

Dehydrated veggies are a great pick. Porcini mushrooms and Sun dried tomatoes are great flavor.

You can leave the fish fry pan at home with some foil and lemon pepper. That's good on ANY fish!

Lots of packaged meals in the regular grocery store are ideal and lightweight. Lipton makes lots of pasta meals. Zatarains makes beans and rice. Look for things that merely need to have water added, or just a little cooking oil or butter. Often those just help the taste and aren't necessary.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• One reason for me to be muzzleloading is to scout areas for next bow season.  I liked this low area I found yesterday.  I got a good feel for how the deer use it.  Saw one small 8 and had two put their tracks in mine, but out of sight.  I'd hunt it differently with a bow.  
    • wear a good balaclava and get a open face with a cold weather breath box never had a problem
    • In my opinion I would look for a nice used wingmaster 2 of my friends have bought a new 870 express about a year apart and they both had the same shell extraction problems. Maybe just a fluke but when I see two different people have the same problem with a Gun makes me think to find a different choice. Heck I have a Mossberg 500 that I treat like poop and I have never had one single malfunction.   I have shot my friends newer express and I can really tell the difference in quality beside my wingmaster  
    • I have Ice Kings.  They are in a word, awesome.  They are about 20-25 years old. Dang I hate dating myself but I have never even bought new liners for these boots.  They are probably one of the finest products I won.  I have never had so much as a chill i my feet.  I usually fish outside but if I am in a flip over, my feet are usually on the ice.  Again, never a chill.  I typically wear a midnight smart wool sock.   For some reason I have been considering new boots.  I guess it is the weight, I would love to have something that is not s heavy and also has better traction.   Today I visited Joe's Sporting Goods and saw some really nice boots (they have a great selection) by Muck, Lacrosse, Sorel, Baffin and some other Canadian made boot that looked very nice. I checked out the ice Kings........they are not the same boot as I have, they don't seem to have the quality to me.  They might be as warm but the rubber feels more stiff almost like it would crack, the uppers are solid leather, mine are leather and corder combo.  The liner also seemed thinner.   After looking at all the boots, I am surprised none offer water proof uppers. Also I am not entirely certain why some seem extend up to your knee with insulation.  Just seems like Over kill because most who would where these boots owed also have some sort of insulated pant on.  Overall I found the boots to be pretty heavy, I was surprised with 20 years past boots have not advanced more.
    • But will be missed but most.............you mad bro?    
    • You boxed yourself.   He was not supporting the Vikings stadium, he was saying that Republicans supported it and now are feigning outrage over the cook subsidy. And then not to be outdone the Republicans are now celebrating the Carrier subsidy.   Pretty much just reinforced his point.      
    • Think we should change the topic to "Trump for Trees."........and all will be well.
    • Had to go all the way back to Missouri to hunt in the snow this year! Beautiful morning but not much movement. Did see some late rut activity Friday.
    • Dotch, you guys over there are almost famous....   Almost because it is Waseca, but whatever.    Mark Seeley's weather blog... http://blog-weathertalk.extension.umn.edu/   .... Waseca now reports 54.13 inches of precipitation for 2016 and this is a new statewide annual precipitation record, surpassing the old one of 53.52" at St Francis (Anoka County) in 1991.
      ....   And an interesting thought...(from Mark, not me) Commentary on Winter TIME: No question will be answered this week, but I want to take TIME to make a comment about Winter TIME. Managing the TIME in the Winter Season in Minnesota is a different ball game than other seasons of the year, because everything takes longer. No question winter will be felt more frequently soon in the daily weather, and snowfalls will become more frequent this month. The rash of bicycle, pedestrian, and vehicular accidents reported during the snow storms towards the end of November reminded me about adjusting for Winter TIME. Our concept of time needs to be adjusted. Lengthen the time intervals that you have intuitively built-into your everyday habits and tasks. It takes longer to walk places, longer to drive places, longer to dress and undress, longer to warm up the car, longer to degomble (shed snow) when you come into the house. You need to make time to shovel snow, scrape the windshield, clean the furnace filters, When you walk take shorter steps and not too fast...put the boots, gloves and hat on when you go outside....check on the neighbor if their place hasn't been shoveled...everything should slow down..except for the long Minnesota goodbye..that is better shortened...just say goodbye, open the door, leave and close the door behind you....no need to stand in an open doorway for minutes conversing about last minute stuff. Winter TIME is an adjustment that may save you anxiety, regret, or even injury.
  • Our Sponsors