• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2006 Dodge 2500 Diesel - no start SOME mornings (UPDATED 6-1)

I've got either a battery problem, or alt. problem.

I'll charge the batteries (2) and the truck will start fine for 2-3 days, and then be dead the next morning.

When I jump it, all it needs is the cables on long enough for me to jump in the truck, wait 5 seconds and it'll crank over and start, although a little slow.

I've tried unplugging everything I can think of (snowplow controller, GPS, phone cord, trailer plug) trying to eliminate anything that could be a drain outside of the truck.

I'm hard on batteries as I plow commercially about 24-30 hours / snowfall.

The meter in the truck shows a charge once the truck is running, about 12-13ish.

I know I could run it someplace and they'll test the batteries, but I'm already thinking they're bad batteries.

Anyone concur?

It could be a draw from the batteries, a bad alt, or bad batteries. If it was charging good it would read about 13.5-14.5 volts. Another thing you can do is charge the batteries good, unplug the battery cables then try it after a couple days, if they are still good, it probably isn't your batteries. I would recommend bringing it in and having them test it before throwing parts at it.

I mispoke earlier.

It shows a charge of 15-16 while driving around.

We drove from north of Forest Lake today, to Vadnais Heights, to Coon Rapids, to Lino Lakes back to Wyoming.

It showed a charge the whole time, but now at the end of the day, there's just a slight slight hesitation starting the truck.

We stopped the engine 8 times throughout the day.

The biggest problem is I don't have time during this part of the year to let it sit for a couple of days.

Last week it started every morning, no hesitations.

I jerked on the battery cables on the driver's side, and the ground was "somewhat" loose. It wouldn't come off the post, but if I pulled fairly hard, it would twist back and forth.

I worked it back and forth, tightened it back down, and so far so good.

Now that I type this, I'm sure tomorrow morning it'll be deader than a doornail.