• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can I grow these veggies in a pot?

hoggs222

I'm running out of garden space and I'd like to grow jalapeno's and bell peppers in a bunch of pots on the deck. Well pretty much any tomato, pepper, etc.

How big of a pot would I need for each plant?

I've done peppers and tomatos in pots before. Just get a larger sized pot and put one plant in each pot. The bigger the pot the bigger the plant will be able to get and the more fruit it will produce.

Used pots last year for some tomatos we ran out of room for and they did very good and produced a good amount.

I planted 3 tomato plants in a planter like this

37-918.jpg

and had no problems with size or yield from the tomatoes.

I have planted cucumbers like this also.

I made sure the planter had drain holes on the bottom, placed crushed rock in the bottom followed by 1" of sand then I used a good moisture guard potting soil to fill them up.

The biggest thing you have to remember is you have to water them every day!!

There is less dirt and it has a tendency to dry out quick.

The upside is there is very little weeding!!

If you make sure there is good drainage in the pot. Put the pot on the south side of the house in direct sunlight and overwater it every day making sure the excess water drains off you will have more tomatoes than you know what to do with.