• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear Baiting

[ GREASE ]Talk to your little mom & pop cafes and bars, sometimes they will safe it for you. It takes me months to collect plenty and I put it in 55 gallon barrels. I put a faucet in barrel to dispense. I use 2 gallon on each bait pile. 1 on the bait pile and the other 1 splash on trees and brush around bait. I also see people that put large piles of bait at bait sites. A bear can only eat so much of one type of food and then it has to eat other things. Feed them a meal, not the whole buffet table. To much in the pile and it just spoils and gets uneatable to them. Change up the dog food brands also, some times different brands have different ingredients in them. 1 gallon of my grease pail is made up of full ice cream pail of dog food and filled 3/4 full of grease. If you use candy,etc. a 1/2 pail full is plenty on the top of pile to settle down in and make work for it. Those that think they are creating a dump is not the way to get them. They only go to dumps to get the fresher foods that come in daily.

Grease is not crucial in my opinion but it is a cheap way to disperse scent. Bait sprays work better but they are expensive. As long as you have something to spread on the ground and brush around the bait site that appeals to bears.

Grease is good but not criticle, use it if ya can. I have a question, Some of you use alot of bait an some just a meal, for those that use alot of bait say enough for three days or so, whats the best way to carry it in when ya cant get the wheeler to the site, multiple trips back an forth? I know some of you guys use 100-150 lbs at a time enough for three days, it's just me an the bait so I hate to come back with a load for the second time an scare mr. bear off the site, did that once an he turned nocturnal. i guess if I fill two five gallon buckets full thats gotta be close to 80 pound an a backpack full that should be in the range of enough for a few days maybe. Just really need to cut down on the driving time. Any ideas would be great. Boar