• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally boated a nice Flathead

DTro

It's been fairly slow spring and a lot of hours put in already this year looking for a good fish.

It finally happened tonight and I'm still shaking from the battle. It's one that I won't soon forget.

Click to reveal..
003-2.jpg

14x7 and 1.15lbs on the conversion chart!

bigger than my biggest flathead. My experience consists of fishing with 4-5 cheetos on a jighead in some river that runs through Watertown west of the cities though. killing time after I drove my mom 2 hours to some meeting. Caught one tiny flat and 2..what looked like blues? I should post those pictures up for analysis, I'm no cat expert.

probably all channels then. the smallest one could have been a bullhead.

are there carp or other rough fish in that river? I'm assuming there is, but while I was there there were some biiiig fish rolling on the surface in a carp-like manner, but I didn't have any kind of fly or anything I could lob out to where they were. Pretty fun to watch though.

I was a bit worried there at first Steve. I backed off my drag and hoped for the best.

I can tell you this, that 21pt bump for the KOTC feels good this morning.

I'm going to head out and try for an upgrade tonight but I know it going to be tough to top.

Darren, usually I understand a series of clicks means fish on..... What the heck did this one do???? hsolist.............................................

how did you even know you had anything on?:D

years of watching my rod tip has calibrated my eyes grin

As I was reeling it in, my exact words were, "huh......must be a walleye"

Thanks for sharing Dtro.

What is it with this year grin Is it just me or are the flatheads getting smaller as the season goes whistlelaugh

No, that will change very soon and I have my picks in for my KOTC Fantasy Flathead team on who will be the top 5 in the next couple weeks to bring some monsters in wink Well their ya go, another idea grin Fantasy fishing for flatheads involving the KOTC grin

I should post those pictures up for analysis, I'm no cat expert.

Yes please do. If small enough, could have been the elusive madtom or a unique bullhead. The others you thought where blues I am sure where channels.

However, I was informed and given the heads-up from a firm source that a 40lb flathead is know to swim the depths of the Crow though winkgrin

If the creek chub bite this morning was any indication of the cat bite tonight, I'll be able to post a picture of the real thing......

Yea they were on fire this morning whistle Should be a good night to get out!

haha well this certainly was no 40lber. Probably was a bullhead, i'd never seen one with that yellow of a hue before, but that definitely could have come from the fact that I've never caught a bullhead in a river system before.

haha well this certainly was no 40lber. Probably was a bullhead, i'd never seen one with that yellow of a hue before, but that definitely could have come from the fact that I've never caught a bullhead in a river system before.

There actually are 3 species of bullheads in our state - Black, Brown, and Yellow. Guess what color the Yellows are? grin

I can tell you this, that 21pt bump for the KOTC feels good this morning.

I'm going to head out and try for an upgrade tonight but I know it going to be tough to top.

Yep - that monster fish fired me up too, Darren. I'm heading out tonight also - I've got all goose eggs on the Flathead board so I would settle for a 21 point bump myself.

It will be interesting to see if there is any movement on the board tonight. Looks like a cool but fishable evening.