Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Powerstroke

EAB is finally here! Quarentine to be put in place

3 posts in this topic

The Emerald Ash Borer is finally here. It was discovered by professional arborists in St. Paul and has been confirmed by the MN Dept. Of Ag.

A quarantine on ash wood products and plant stock will be put in place for Hennepin and Ramsey Counties. A plan for dealing with the pest locally hasn't been released yet, but typically it involves cutting down every ash tree with 1/4 mile of the infestation for testing and to prevent the spread.

For those who haven't heard about it there is an amazing amount of information about this since it became such a problem out east. MN has the second largest population of ash trees in the country because of our abundant wild population. Millions of trees have been removed out east and as close as Chicago since the EAB was discovered. Unfortunately this pest will change our local landscape far worse than Dutch Elm disease did.

From what I have read and heard on the news it sounds like the EAB has been here for 4-5 years based on the damage the trees are showing.

It takes several years for symptoms to show up in the trees so it can make it hard to treat the problem. If you are able to catch it early on there are treatment options available so make sure to be dilligent on checking your ash trees.

The first sign to show up I guess is small D shapes holes in the bark and an increase in woodpecker activity.

The damage is the big kicker. Once the boring has damaged the vascular system of the tree and the wilting has started its almost too late.

Injections into the tree or root injections are the way to treat it if you catch it.

It will never be eradicated, but control will be important to keep this from spreading up north where the native ash trees live and populated a large majority of the landscape.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Moved my fan today  cut heat up time in half very noticeable improvement 
    • Well, she's still right, you know..
    • Went out pheasant hunting today and ran into a trapper setting 330s along a creek for beaver .  I'm not much into trapping but know how these things work, and after having a civilized conversation with him his were all in the water and he let know where they were located so at least the pooch wouldn't get his leg caught in it. don't feel bad, he hasn't caught much either . 
    • That may be, but it sounds a lot like "I didn't get a job" butthurt.  That grifter would be singing the praises of Trump's genius if she was on the payroll.   Eh, why not?  When they aren't taking credit for things they had nothing to do with, they are taking blame for things they had nothing to do with. Pence is still the governor of Indiana
    • sounds like from animals that eat meat. 
    • Huh?  Sorry,  I should have known better.
    • Great idea, have you looked into what it would take? 
    • I think what fish meant was it might not hurt to allow more than 60 days for a season in states like MN.   When the birds are late we can still have a chance at the northern birds.  If freeze up and the flights are early, the longer season won't matter.  There won't be much if anything to shoot.   I get what you're saying about lengthening the gap, but that's a roll of the dice since we have little chance of knowing when freeze up will get those late birds moving.  How long do you make the gap?   After a year in my new area of the state I can adjust my expectations and chase more wisely next year.  This year I was anticipating much better.  I think that's the worst part - the big push being the big let down.
    • Wool socks are a must, they insulate even if wet. Cotton socks in any warm boot will make your feet cold. The warmth of the boot while you are active make your feet sweat. I have the LaCross Iceman from a couple decades ago, still no need to go buy something different.
    • Some wild meat can have trichinosis.  Domestic pork no longer has it. I'm pretty sure that venison doesn't have a parasite issue.
  • Our Sponsors