• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Propane Heater

Marmot

Question

I currently have a Paulin that I believe gives up to 4K BTUs. I like it for "warm" ice fishing days. It is not enough on a really cold day in my portable. I once borrowed a Mr. Heater that gave off 8K BTUs on the low setting. 8K BTUs was way too much heat.

I am thinking a heater with 5-6K BTUs would be ideal. Anyone know of a portable propane heater in this range?

6 answers to this question

Paulin makes a new heater similar to the Mr. Heater portable buddy. Its called the Tough PUP Indoor Propane Heater. It is 4000-8000 BTU. I'm not sure where you can get it or how much they cost. I live in Canada and was looking for a similar heater for my Fish Trap Voyager. I sent them an e-mail and they never got back to me.

what kinda house are you heating? I've got a 7000 btu, dirrect vent heater already but I'm not sure if it will be enough to heat the sleeper I plan on building. I'm planning on an 8x16,and I'll have to insulate it well, but on top of that I think I'll just budget a bigger one in and if this one doesn't cut it I'll have to get a bigger one. SO I guess I'm just trying to figure out what your heating and trying to guess if my 7000 will be enough. The sweet thing about it is the price was right....free

Marmot,

I went and looked at the HSOforum. It's strange that they say for use in ice fishing shanties and hunting blinds but then further down say not recommended for outdoor use as the wind can blow out the pilot light. I guess they mean permanant style ice fishing shanties. I ended up buying a Coleman Focus 12 (12000 BTU) for my Voyager. It's a sunflower style that attaches right to a 20lb tank. It can get pretty cold up here in January. Hopefully it will keep me toasty. Good luck with your search.