Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snoozebutton

Lowrance HDS updates

11 posts in this topic

The new update for the HDS units is now available on their web site. Go to the Lowrance web site, click on "Downloads", then click on "Product Software Updates" and find your unit.

This is the update that will allow them to read the Navionics chips.

Has anyone updated their HDS system and fished with it yet?

I have not been out fishing since the updates came out. I have been really pleased with how my HDS is working, no complaints with it yet, just a few things that are different that take a little getting used to.

I updated mine Sunday and went out that day and yesterday with the '08 Navionics Premium chip and it worked great.

How do you guys like them compared to the old Lowrances?

And what do you think about the smaller HD5 screen vs. the HD8?

The 5 looks pretty small for that kinda scratch.

As a depthfinder, so far I like my HDS better than my other Lowrances. I really like the picture you get with the broadband sounder. I haven't had any performance issues with it and I've used it in less than 2 fow and over 80 fow, at speeds from not moving to running over 50 mph, and so far it hasn't ever lost it's lock on the bottom --- and that includes over thick weeds on Tonka. I'll be adding the side imaging functionality to it when it's available later this year.

I haven't used the GPS functions very much yet, I have other units I use for GPS.

I'm not sure what to tell you about screen size???? Bigger displays are nicer of course, but they cost more money and can give you some things to think about when mounting them.

The HDS-5 screen is the same size as the 520c and 522c so you're not losing anything in that regard, and with the current sale pricing and rebate they are cheaper than when the 520c/522c were introduced. Sale pricing and rebate details for the HDS-5 are at HDS-5 At Pro Fishing Supply.

Isn't it funny how they can now get a much cleaner defined sonar reading with only Max 250W Peak to Peak (31W RMS) actual?

Lower watts = better target definition, what a radical concept.

smirk

LOL, most certainly that would depend on just what particular sonar type/brand/model one is dealing with!!

Case in point, amung others is Vexilars edge 3, a great unit with great target seperation, clean and well defined sonar return. This one runs 1600 watts, my openwater favorite!

Higher watts can also do the trick depending on just which sonar one is dealing with.

Higher watts in some cases = A better sonar display, what a logical concept!

Many updates are being done to the HDS units so they will accept the Nav cards. They still have some glitches in the upgrade as some areas still don't work.

This is from a friend of mine that does the upgrades for dealers.

After all the issues with my H20 and now hearing what the 520 series has for issues, I may need to switch brands. My 522 was working fine and now its doing the 1.6ft in deeper water. Lowrance needs to get their stuff together before they place these units on the market.