Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitch

Archery Turkey Question

6 posts in this topic

I didn't get a turkey earlier this season and have two weeks of free time so I figured I would buy an archery license. I don't want to go out and buy special turkey broadheads. What kind of shot placement do you look for when using regular fixed blade broadheads? Any other tips would be helpful too. Thanks.

Since most shots are broadside, you have to aim for their wing bone to try and catch a lung.

Turkey%20shot%20placement%20chart%202.jp

If this is your first archery hunt, the very best thing you could do is take half an hour, put on your camo, grab your bow or gun, and take a hike into the woods with your blind. Practice setting the blind up like you will in the woods, next to turkeys. Get inside and shoot a few arrows. Draw your bow at least and practice doing what you'll need to do to make the shot. It makes doing the real thing a lot easier.

Other than that, it's just like any other hunt with decision making, decoys, calling, taking shots, etc.

Good luck, practice makes perfect.

Can you buy a second license?

No. If you fail to get a turkey on your gun license you can't buy an archery license.

I just went to try and buy a license but it wouldn't let me buy one. I misread the rules for the archery season. It said lottery applicants that are successful in the Spring lottery are not eligible. I took this to mean people who got a bird in the regular seasons were not eligible, but really if you were drawn for the regular hunts you can't get an archery license. Thanks for the help anyway.