Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitch

Archery Turkey Question

6 posts in this topic

I didn't get a turkey earlier this season and have two weeks of free time so I figured I would buy an archery license. I don't want to go out and buy special turkey broadheads. What kind of shot placement do you look for when using regular fixed blade broadheads? Any other tips would be helpful too. Thanks.

Since most shots are broadside, you have to aim for their wing bone to try and catch a lung.

Turkey%20shot%20placement%20chart%202.jp

If this is your first archery hunt, the very best thing you could do is take half an hour, put on your camo, grab your bow or gun, and take a hike into the woods with your blind. Practice setting the blind up like you will in the woods, next to turkeys. Get inside and shoot a few arrows. Draw your bow at least and practice doing what you'll need to do to make the shot. It makes doing the real thing a lot easier.

Other than that, it's just like any other hunt with decision making, decoys, calling, taking shots, etc.

Good luck, practice makes perfect.

Can you buy a second license?

No. If you fail to get a turkey on your gun license you can't buy an archery license.

I just went to try and buy a license but it wouldn't let me buy one. I misread the rules for the archery season. It said lottery applicants that are successful in the Spring lottery are not eligible. I took this to mean people who got a bird in the regular seasons were not eligible, but really if you were drawn for the regular hunts you can't get an archery license. Thanks for the help anyway.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I've never tried my booya poppin pad crashers Yet but are they really bad or just not as good? Just wondering.
    • Well, I got the bow out today and it took about a dozen shots to get it sighted in then I shot this group at 30 yards.    I am impressed with this CB. The trigger is really thing that I'm not impressed with but I have nothing to compare it to. It seems like there is 40 acres of creep before it releases.
    • Ya I don't know do I dare say I almost like it better than deer hunting... Cant sit with him tonight but came up with a game plan wouldn't be surprised if he sticks one tonight  
    • I am still hunting yet Moose. I go to Nebraska in a few weeks. I am archery in mn. starting to see more active birds. Going to wait and shoot a tom. Nice having 4 birds already on the team. How does a guy post pictures right from your cell phone to here so I can post Dillons info on his tom.
    • Went out today in the metro areas without any luck. Didn't even see any ramps in the usual spots, and I thought they were earlier than the morels. 
    • Day 4 Morning   I think we were both tired of trying to call birds across private fences, so we decided to try going for the distant gobbles I heard when I shot my bird.   There was actually a decent gravel road that went into this area and allowed us to have an easy walk into where I felt the birds should be.   We got in early to try to get there ahead of any other hunters, but it didn't seem to matter.   Forest roads were abundant, so walking was easy.  We went right to the spot I had a bird gobble from a few days prior, and waited.     It didn't take long for the flock to start making noise, and we only had to move a little ways to get close to them.   As usual the turkeys all came down and went away from us.  They set up shop on a long ridge and seemed content to just stay there.   We had no easy approach so set up our own position on the forest road we were on which was covered in tracks.   Other birds were gobbling in the distance the opposite way, and when one sounded close we chose to go for him.   Nothing came of that little walk other than the loss of a $65 custom call...  On the plus side we found a nice deer skull.     Back to the flock, one gobbler would respond to a crow call, so we knew they were still up on the hill.  We made a painfully slow walk straight at them since they were high enough up they hopefully wouldn't see us.  When we got to the timber they stopped responding, so we guessed they went over the top.  We worked our way up and found where they had been feeding.  Just shy of the top we set up to call just in case they were over the lip of the hill.     We received an immediate response to some lite hen yelps and clucks.  A hen with the gobbler was not at all pleased that we were there.  We got into a bit of a yelling match with her.  She was coming closer, dragging the gobbler with her.  When I heard drumming I motioned for my uncle to get the gun up since he was still calling.  In a few moments I saw a tail fan cresting the hill.  He angled left, looked around, went behind a tree.  I heard him go into strut and drum...   BANG!           
    • Day 3 Afternoon   We went for a short walk into the area I thought I heard the birds gobble in the distance when I shot my bird.  We couldn't find any birds and were nearly done with our walk when I glassed across a cow pasture and saw birds up in some trees!   I quickly checked the map and found that they were dangerously close to public land.   We made a dash for the car.   The walk in to this spot was pretty short and very close to houses and the farm that had the cows.   We ended up close to the fence and I felt the turkeys we saw should be just below us.   Some whitetail deer spooked and then turkeys started filing past along the fence.  I counted four or five hens, but no gobbler.  We stayed a bit and crow called thinking maybe a flock got busted up.  In the end we just backed out without spooking the hens off. 
  • Our Sponsors