• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor Choice

Sportfish1850

Question

I'm debating between the Minn Kota Traxxis 80 and the Minn Kota Vector 80.

Virtually the only use for this motor would be back trolling as I have a bow mount foot pedal controlled trolling motor for forward trolling and weed fishing bass/northerns.

I'm attracted to the second mounting screw on the Traxxis for stability and its cheaper price point (especially with the current manufacturer's $50 rebate) but I am concerned about its function as a backtrolling motor.

Can the Traxxis be inverted so the motor "points" back while the handle "points" forwards so you can back troll while in forward speeds ? I'd like to avoid backtrolling by leading with the prop while in reverse.

I don't care about switching between forwards and reverse trolling (like you can easily do with the Vector), since like I said the only use for this motor is to pull the boat backwards. So as long as the Traxxis can be inverted with a couple of tools and left that way, I'd rather save some cash over the Vector.

Thanks for your comments.

5 answers to this question

The advantage to the vector is the 3 to 1 steering ratio. Less handle movement will give you more clearance next your outboard, and make it easier to spin the boat around or get on course faster. I looked at the traxxis locally, and the one-hand stow and deploy option looks nice. The Vector is heavier and takes 2 hands to put it up and down. Personally, I'm going to wait another year and put on a vantage. With the Vantage you don't have to worry about stow and deploying the TM, and it will be out of the way when I'm not backtrolling.

I like the 3x steering the Vector offers but the stow and deploy is a tad more cumbersome than I would like. Overall it's still a good transom trolling motor though and I enjoy using it.

I looked at the Vantage but read too many reports of failures which kept me from spending the extra money over the Vector 3X which is has a pretty good track record. There were more than enough instances of the unit not stowing to make me wonder about the design. They may have fixed that issue now but at the time I was shopping for a TM I didn't want to have to deal with a unit that didn't raise up without dismantling it while on the water just to get back to the dock and ruin a day of fishing. Just like anything, with more bells and whistles comes more opportunity for failure. That was a couple of years ago so maybe the new models have been revised so that doesn't happen anymore.

I have had a vantage for 9 years now and although it does have its querks I have never been left on the water with it down. I have had a problem with the unit coming up but if I move it all the way down(again) and then back up it will come up. You may have to press a little hard on the button sometimes too but it will come up. I really like the vantage. Not much space on the boat and you can reverse the motor head for backtrolling or forward.