• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cat Tip of the Day: Keep Mosquitoes Away

SteveD

This cool spring weather has kept the bugs at bay but last night as I sat there in my long johns on a perfect spring catfishing evening I had my first mosquito encounters. I found myself reaching for the Thermacell as a standard catfisherman’s response to the pesky bugs. After I had everything under control bug wise, it reminded me that this would be a good time to dig up one of my old Cat Tip of the Day posts I did back in 2006 about keeping the mosquitoes away. I will update that Cat Tip with some of the other options for spending a warm, muggy summer evening mosquito free.

Back in 2006 I wrote about a product I found at WalMart that was really doing the trick for controlling mosquitoes. It is called the OFF PowerPad and is designed to repel mosquitos from a 15' X 15' area. It is a small candle lantern that activates a mosquito repellant pad. I used it all that summer and it worked perfectly in the boat. The product is designed for people to use on their patios so I figured my boat is a small patio floating on the water - makes sense - right? The PowerPad Lamp comes with one candle and one repellent pad. You can buy refills that come with 3 candles and 3 repellent pads. The candle and repellent pads are supposed to last 4 hours. You can find the lamp and refills at a variety of places: WalMart, Cub Foods, Menards, etc.

PowerPadIDA.jpg

Another really good option for mosquito control is a product called ThermaCELL. This is what I use now because it is simple to use and almost 100% effective. It is powered by a butane cartridge which provides cordless, portable heat necessary to operate the device (batteries are not needed). It directs the heat to a metal grill. A mat saturated with repellant is placed on top of the metal grill. The heat generated by the butane cartridge vaporizes the repellent allowing it to rise into the air, creating a 15 x 15 ft (225 sq ft) “Mosquito-Free-Zone” in minutes. You can find ThermaCELL at most any sporting goods store (Cabela’s, Gander Mountain, WalMart, etc) or order directly on-line from ThermaCELL.

productDetails_MR-G_unit.jpg

If you are going to chase cats at night in Minnesota I highly recommend one of the two products described. I’ve used them both and they work.

Good Fishing!! Without the Bugs!!

ThermaCELL has changed summer time night fishing forever. I got one to try out and figured it would do an so-so-so job. But after the first use, I was and am still hooked.

Another good tip Steve!

i have wondered about these thermocell things too. there are so many products like this i think are gimmicks. i saw some sort of flea collar thing at the hardware store the other day...

none of you guys are thermocell pro staff are ya? wink

Awesome.. i was wondering how effective those ThermaCells were... wondered if they were a real deal or a gimmick since i didn't know anyone who owned one

NOT a gimmick, they are freakin' awesome!

I'd still put on some bug repellant but the ThermaCell keeps the cloud of mosquitos out of the boat very well! Its pretty amazing. One of those if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it type of deals.

That would be SWEET! The re-fill kits get kinda spendy after awhile.

Its bad... I go through about 1 butane canister per night & 1-2 pads on average. It adds up.

Originally Posted By: bobbymalone

That would be SWEET! The re-fill kits get kinda spendy after awhile.

Its bad... I go through about 1 butane canister per night & 1-2 pads on average. It adds up.

I used to use that much also.... but you don't need to keep it burning all night. Put it out around sun set when the bugs come out and keep it going for 1-2 hours and then the bugs pack it in and leave for good.

I get 2-3 outings on a butane and 2 nights on a pad. Flip your pads over, you get 2 uses out of them.

I got mine Yesterday, not Friday, was still on sale for the prices RW posted! grin

I also priced out some new trailer tires, It's gonna cost me about 100 shekels before I can get the boat out. The old tires are too decrepit for the road. frown

I think back to several years ago when a buddy introduced me to bank fishing on the Crow. Bug spray was at the top of the list of things he told me to bring. I rummaged through the drawer and found a bottle of 'OFF Skintastic' and brought that.

When I arrived at the river my buddy took one look at the bottle and said "Aw H*ll no, the skeeters 'round here DRINK that s**t, man!"

Yeah, those river bottom bugs aren’t your average spoiled suburban skeeter.

Sometimes I see them using the melted puddle of Citronella wax as a hot tub. This one time I looked down and a big one was one sitting in there holding a drink.

I’ve heard that Tom over at the Burrough Bowl in Belle Plaine might have a few left over from the old 169 Sportsman shop. Might be worth stopping by to check it out if you are in the area. wink

I know a couple of my trips have been salvaged at the last minute by those “couple of bait tanks” and a pegboard. Thanks for keeping a few suckers on hand and providing a nice venue for our BPCL league meetings!

I bought this last summer after reading all the good feedback. I tested it a few weekends camping/fishing in Ely. Was hard to tell, but seemed to work. During one test the skeeters were relentless by the hydro on Fall lake and unfortunately it didn't help at all. No wind, it had time to warm up, fresh refills...? Just my observations, want to give it another shot this summer. Glad to hear the prices have come down on refills! I won't give up yet...

I caught this old discussion via the link from catfish tips. Checked out the product MSDS online http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/Documents/174_msds.pdf and there are numerous references to it being highly toxic to aquatic organisms and possibly producing long term effects in aquatic environments. So, if you use one in the boat, please be careful with the refills and the device itself.

The Thermacell is miracle! Very effective. In regards to the potential hazards, I have done a lot of research and the active ingredient (also used for "bug off clothing" has a very low toxicity rating for humans and mammals (ie..the dog).

It does however, have a VERY high toxicity for insects (all types) fish and aquatic insects. So... be very careful on how to discard used pads (I put mine in a plastic bag, tied shut and then disposed in the trash at home).

Also, if you use the clothes treatment (which works well) do NOT wade in those clothes. The manufacturers state that the chemicals bond with the cloth and it is "safe" after it completely dries....but I don't take the chance.

I have a small towel that I treated and keep it on the floor of the boat...discourages the ankle biters!