• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Important gas and gas tank question

Hoffer

Ok Guys - this may have been posted before but couldnt find the thread.

I have been talking to my brother and some friends about this and we dont have an answer.

What is the best way to winterize a gas tank?

I have an in-board 17 gallon gas tank. I was told the best way to winterize it was to keep it full to avoid moisture and just add in stabil.

Then some others have cautioned about the use of non-oxygenated fuel and how that will break down soon and cause gunk and build-up. I know I havent been using the good fuel - so did I put away my boat last year with a full 17 gallons and now an possibly faced with a bunch of junk abd gunk in the tank that will ultimately foul stuff up. I do use an "additive" and also did put stabil and the additive in at the end of the year.

So, really 2 questions here...

1. Is non-oxygenated gas that important to use - and if so - where do you find it around the cities.

2. Should the gas tank be put away empty (cant alwasy empty out a bunch of gas at the end of the season?) or can it be put away full to prevent mositure if stabill is added etc...

I took the boat out once so far -and it started great and ran great - but I am wondering if this is something that will eventually catch up to me?

Last, whats the best way to then add in more gas? should I run dowh my tank all the way - then fill full with non-oxygenated or should I run it a little at a time and immediately start getting the new gas in there to mix in with the old?

Thanks a ton - sorry for the long post = but appreciate the help!!

I don't think it's necessary to run non-oxy if your motor is from the last 20 years. And the only non-oxy you'll find around the cities is 91 octane or higher--waste of money unles you have a hig-compression engine that requires it. Regular 87 octane is what is recommended for my motor, so that is what I run.

You shouldn't have any problems putting your boat away with a full tanks if you added Stabil (or another stabilizer). Just make sure that you run the motor enough so that stabilized gas gets run through the engine, too.

i run non oxy gas for my outboard but the year of my motor is a 1966. I fill up my 6 gallon tank and put sta-bil in my gas and I an still on the same tank from last year. my motor is a 2 stroke and it has not fowled the plugs yet. but I always but my gas tank away fill. my sled not so much because I fill her up for it gets really cold out.

I've heard from multiple folks that if you fill up your tank with high octane gas at the end of the season, you won't need the Stabil.

Does the high octane gas last longer? Does it work for winterizing?

Nope. The only logical reason is if they're using higher-octane gas with no ethanol in it. Then, the gas would be less likely to absorb moisture over the winter. It will still tend to varnish over time. In my opinion, you are better off spending a few buck on a bottle of stabilizer.

We've been running normal 87 with eth for years, with an occassional premium tank now and then - not sure why, ha! But we do run a can of Seafoam through now and then, even in summer, and always on the last tank or basically all the gas from Sept on, cause we are never sure when the last day will be - could be Sept or Nov, depending upon how good duck hunting is wink

I also have started putting some seafoam in ALL my small engine gas cans when I buy gas, and recently started using non-oxy for them - the price difference isn't much when only buying a couple gallons at a time. I do think it has helped, as they start better now, from my auger to my lawn mower to leaf blower.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, we have quit the season on full tank or half tank or low tank, and no real difference we can tell in the spring, We just add fresh gas in spring, and away we go smile

i run non oxy gas for my outboard but the year of my motor is a 1966. I fill up my 6 gallon tank and put sta-bil in my gas and I an still on the same tank from last year. my motor is a 2 stroke and it has not fowled the plugs yet. but I always but my gas tank away fill. my sled not so much because I fill her up for it gets really cold out.
my outboard is a 1965 and I do the same with no issues. Im running gas I bought before labor day with no issues.

I always add the stabil a few trips before I am going to store the boat for the winter. that way it has a chance to work its way in to the carb.