• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

88' Mariner Tiller losing top end and idling higher than usual...

JimBuck

I was out last night cruising at 26mph (80% OT) when my motor immediately dropped in speed. Since that happened my motor dropped in overall top speed down to 20mph at WOT and idles at a higher than usual RPM. I noticed at the tiller handle the furthest down I can throttle is into the START position and not fully down to the IDLE position. I would like to think that the throttle cable might be sticky somewhere? I'm wondering what might this might be signs of? Cheers guys.

I'd pull the hood off and make sure the throttle linkage on the carbs are able to travel their full range of motion (from low idle stop to fully open) and see if there's something impeding it's travel, or loose hardware that's not allowing it to move fully.

marine_man

Update: Checked it out and did some tinkering and now my throttle is unresponsive? I can go in and out of gear but it is stuck idling at the same speed in neutral, forward and reverse?

Thanks Ralph. I do have a 45hp. The shaft seems to be turning inside the handle....I did buy this tiller assembly used as my last one snapped. I didn't think there was much to the assembly but maybe they wear out over time?