• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Casting Reel under $100

BlueBasser

Looking for another reel to add to my collection and would like to find the best I can for under $100. I have a 6'6" St. Croix Rod that it will go on. I already have a Curado but would like to spend a little less this time around. Any thoughts??? Thanks!

If I was in your situation I would save up an extra $20 and go with the new citica. Very similar to the curado and still a great reel. If thats not an option, some of the Diawa reels like the exceller and megaforce reels are nice for the money. You may also be able to find some of last years citicas on sale at some stores for under or around $100.

The new Citica would be a good choice. However, if you can find the old one on sale for a few bucks less I would go with it. I think the new citicas have the HEG (high efficiency gear) which I am not sold on yet for various reasons. The old citicas are geared the same as the "old" green curados, and pretty much bullet-proof.

All of 200D series baitcasters had HEG. Im curious what you mean buy your not sold on it yet? I have a few of the citica Ds and they are great reels. I actually just picked up a 100dsv for $50 bucks new a few weeks ago!

I agree with the citica statement look into the old models or search online or for sales on the new one. Another option would be the revo S with is slightly less expensive than the citica but a good reel in that price range.

I was never a big fan of Abu Garcias but I figured i would give the cheaper version ($99) of the Revo a try before I spent the money on the top of the line models. Lets just say I bought 3 more of the $99 versions because I would so impressed with them! It is literally hard to get a backlash with them and they have a super low, comfortable profile. I believe this year they may have had a price increase to $120 but it is an amazing reel for the money. When they had the old green Curados it was ALL I would buy, the Revo is like the new "old Curado" for me I guess you could say. Definitely check one out when you are looking at reels in the shop.

The best bang for the buck right now is the Daiwa Capricorn at the sporting goods store that starts with "D and ends with S". They retail for 120 and are on sale now for 49.95. I have a collection of Revo Sx reels and I wanted a cheaper reel to put on a cheap rod. I took it out last weekend and I was really impressed

I have a Daiwa Black Widow II that I really like. It's a $120 reel, but they are on sale right now for $100. So far I like it better than the Sol I picked up, which I can't keep from backlashing to save my life.

The old citicas are geared the same as the "old" green curados, and pretty much bullet-proof.

While I agree the old Citicas and Curados are near bullet proof they are not geared the same. The old Citica was a 5.2:1 gearing and the standard Curado was a 6.2:1 ratio. The new Citica can be had in 6.2:1 and 5:1 ratios. You could get 2 old Citicas for the price of a new one and they are a great real. You could buy a bearing for the old Citica to replace the bushing in the side plate and it's almost the equal of the old Curado. If you only want one new reel though I think it's a no brainer to get the new Citica.

I don't think you can go wrong with the revo or citica. I like my Revo SX better than my Curado E5 but the Citica hangs right in there with the Curado only big difference is the smaller handle. I never tried the Revo S.

You could buy a bearing for the old Citica to replace the bushing in the side plate and it's almost the equal of the old Curado. If you only want one new reel though I think it's a no brainer to get the new Citica.

Did this with my old Citica, casts farther and is a bit smoother than it was before. I love it.

Deitz,

Are the new HEG's made of aluminum? There were some reports of the previous generation curado's with the HEG having chipped teeth. I haven't had any problems with my curados with the HEG, but I'm just a little more confident in my Shimanos with the brass gears. I guess you could say I am in the process of proving to myself what I have already proven with the brass gear design.

gspman, The gear composition and durability are what I am concerned with, not the gear ratio; sorry, I see how that wasn't clear. But in response to your comment, I'm pretty sure the old citica 100's (last years model) were 6.2:1 not 5.2:1. Shimano may have offered the 200 in the 5.2:1 in addition to the 6.2:1 but I'm not sure.

Recoil- To be honest, I dont know what the gears are made of.. this is what is listed on the web page.

Quote:
HEG consists of not only the gears, but also the frame, setplate, and handle-side sideplate. First we increased the size of the drive gear and the pinion gear to offer increased leverage and power. By using a one-piece frame that incorporates the setplate and adding a one-piece stamped sideplate, we have eliminated flex in the drivetrain that causes normal gears to bind under pressure. By eliminating the flex and increasing the leverage, we are able to provide high-speed retrieves and deliver an incredible amount of torque, while maintaining the smooth, silent retrieve Shimano reels are famous for.

I have not had a reel with the HEG fail yet.

Thanks guys, I did go with the Citica and am now just waiting for it to arrive. Now to figure out what line to put on it!!! I am thinking about going with a Fluro for the first time... probably something around 14 lb test. How will that compare with say 30 lb powerpro which I have on my Curado???

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the old citica 100's (last years model) were 6.2:1 not 5.2:1.

You are correct sir. I completely forgot there was an "in between" model. The original Citica only came in 5.2:1.

if it is 100% fluro you might have a problem casting it. Wont be as easy as power pro or a copolymer

TOTALLY agree on this one ... if you are newer to using baitcasters, using floro can be very stiff and result in lots of back lashes cause it wants to spring off the reel. If you go this route, I would suggest no more than 12# test to start out, and buy some "Reel Magic" and spray it on the line periodically. This stuff seems to soften up the line and makes it easier to cast from by experience.

Starting out, my best expereince was was with a very limp copoly/mono like Gamma. Upgrading to braided lines also makes for easy casting, and getting out backlashes can be easier, but expensive if you have to cut it out.

A compromise if you really feel the need the characteristics of Floro, but don't want to hassel with the castablity issues that floro can have, is to use 30# braid and put a direct tied floro leader.

If you have a high confidence in your casting ability, then none of this really applies.

Good Luck!