• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Filoplumes ? No Pic

micpic

So I learned another new word today. Filoplumes! I think I may know what those hairs or feathers look like but I was wondering if anyone could show it on a photo, to leave no doubt for me. Seems to me the hairs around the beak of the bird would qualify as Filoplumes, am I right or wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Mike.....here's a few images taken last winter of a redpoll and a pine grosbeak that shows the fine filoplumes on the back of the birds neck or nape....another type of filoplumes(semiplumes) are found on the birds wings and other areas......the feathers at the base of the birds beak are "bristles"....

reddy94.jpg

and on pine grosbeak...not the clearest image for sure

P1070310-3copy.jpg

a few stubbier filoplumes just barely visible on the neck....

P1070306-4copy.jpg

Nice, Jonny. Mike, my response is not to answer your inquiry, Jonny already did a fine job of that. But since I am not known for my steady hands, I just had to see if I could find one lousy little filoplume in all the photos I have taken. The quest was on. And that's what I found--one little filoplume from last fall. Nope, wait--there might be five little filoplumes in one photo. Bonus!:

3533137387_c123e577bf_o.jpg

Mike - I asked the same question a week or so ago - but didn't have the name. here

Thanks to ShawnZ and Jonny I got the appropriate label, and helped me id it in this image. I was amazed/shocked to see that I actually got a shot with this much detail.

chickadee.jpg