Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VacationLand

What to use? and why?

10 posts in this topic

I have posted this in the equipment expert forum but was told I might get more responce here.

I am not and angler, but I pretend very well. Lets just say "I know a guy" who doesnt know anything about fishing...

I live on a lake and have been fishing with my daughter. We fish from the shore and are experts at catching the same 10 sunfish over and over... crazy We just perchased a boat and I plan to waist as much time as possible drowning worms. I need some help. I dont have a clue about what lure to use for what fish. I walk into a bait shop and see jigs, smells, salmon balls, shiners, swivels, hooks, spoons, and all kinds of other stuff. I know they all have there purpose but it does me no good to use a shark hook when I want a bass. please help me!!! all I want to do is put fish on the grill and make memories with my daughter.

Thanks!!

Do you know the primary species of bass in your lake? Is it a clear lake? Lots of rocks? Weeds?

Spinnerbait near weeds, your bound to get lots of bass and northern. Its a foolproof method

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Well, the first thing you should know is that Sharks are out of season in MN right now smile.

One could write pages on what lures work well and when for bass... but i agree with craigums and spinnerbaits. Spinnerbaits are an easy presentation, just toss it out and reel it back, and you can catch bass spring, summer, fall on them. Get a variety of different colors (light and dark) along with different blade shapes. Vary your retrieval speeds, colors etc. until you find what works. Fish the weed lines... in the dog days, you may want to find some deeper structure as the water warms. other good baits would be your rapalas, or jigs and plastic worms or minnows. The jigs and plastics are good when you locate a bunch of fish, and/or you need to slow the presentation down to get them to bite. When all else fails, a slip bobber and worms or minnows will catch bass, sunnies, crappies, just about anything around that wants a snack. Hope this helps, just some basics to get ya started.

I live on a clear lake. it is acctually man make by daming a river. it is several miles long in a U shap and about a mile at its widest. there are lots of coves, weedy areas as well as deep 40-50' areas with crystal clear water you can see 15' deep. Mostly rocky bottom I would have to say but I am sure it it filled with its share of sunken logs and felled trees from before it was a lake. the lake is very old so it has plenty of fish in it.

all this is great info. Thanks very much!

this link is exactly what I needed!! thanks so much! smile

What about hiring a guide for a half day to take you and your daughter or just you out to learn the basics? We are doing this for our trip, on each lake we are fishing. Just a thought

deep, clear and rocky, i would assume you have smallies? if so, a popR and smallmouths is a very fun combo. if your daughter is old enough to work a lure. just pop, pop, pop, pause. like craig said, spinnerbaits are super easy to use, as are lippless cranks over rocks. with both these baits, you want to bounce off some cover. if you don't snag once in a while, you aint fishin' right.