Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VacationLand

What to use? and why?

10 posts in this topic

I have posted this in the equipment expert forum but was told I might get more responce here.

I am not and angler, but I pretend very well. Lets just say "I know a guy" who doesnt know anything about fishing...

I live on a lake and have been fishing with my daughter. We fish from the shore and are experts at catching the same 10 sunfish over and over... crazy We just perchased a boat and I plan to waist as much time as possible drowning worms. I need some help. I dont have a clue about what lure to use for what fish. I walk into a bait shop and see jigs, smells, salmon balls, shiners, swivels, hooks, spoons, and all kinds of other stuff. I know they all have there purpose but it does me no good to use a shark hook when I want a bass. please help me!!! all I want to do is put fish on the grill and make memories with my daughter.

Thanks!!

Do you know the primary species of bass in your lake? Is it a clear lake? Lots of rocks? Weeds?

Spinnerbait near weeds, your bound to get lots of bass and northern. Its a foolproof method

Well, the first thing you should know is that Sharks are out of season in MN right now smile.

One could write pages on what lures work well and when for bass... but i agree with craigums and spinnerbaits. Spinnerbaits are an easy presentation, just toss it out and reel it back, and you can catch bass spring, summer, fall on them. Get a variety of different colors (light and dark) along with different blade shapes. Vary your retrieval speeds, colors etc. until you find what works. Fish the weed lines... in the dog days, you may want to find some deeper structure as the water warms. other good baits would be your rapalas, or jigs and plastic worms or minnows. The jigs and plastics are good when you locate a bunch of fish, and/or you need to slow the presentation down to get them to bite. When all else fails, a slip bobber and worms or minnows will catch bass, sunnies, crappies, just about anything around that wants a snack. Hope this helps, just some basics to get ya started.

I live on a clear lake. it is acctually man make by daming a river. it is several miles long in a U shap and about a mile at its widest. there are lots of coves, weedy areas as well as deep 40-50' areas with crystal clear water you can see 15' deep. Mostly rocky bottom I would have to say but I am sure it it filled with its share of sunken logs and felled trees from before it was a lake. the lake is very old so it has plenty of fish in it.

all this is great info. Thanks very much!

What about hiring a guide for a half day to take you and your daughter or just you out to learn the basics? We are doing this for our trip, on each lake we are fishing. Just a thought

deep, clear and rocky, i would assume you have smallies? if so, a popR and smallmouths is a very fun combo. if your daughter is old enough to work a lure. just pop, pop, pop, pause. like craig said, spinnerbaits are super easy to use, as are lippless cranks over rocks. with both these baits, you want to bounce off some cover. if you don't snag once in a while, you aint fishin' right.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Where did you hear that food plots were to be banned?   I have seen about banning "feeding deer"  which I took to mean the classic set up a feeder and dump corn and alfalfa in it.     Jumping on areas immediately has been shown to be successful in preventing isolated cases from spreading and becoming endemic.   Once it becomes established in the herd, it seems as if controlling it is no longer possible.   It also seems as if CWD is fairly hard to catch for a deer, or else it would be all over everywhere and all the deer in an area like Dane county would have it.    Oh, and the infected deer could have come from a deer farm, or from Iowa where it has been detected in the county bordering MN on the SE.    
    • I wouldn't call myself wealthy, but I've made good life choices that have enabled me to buy my own land.  Still pack my own lunch and watch for sales at the grocery store.  I don't own land in SE MN, I own land in northern MN.  The reason I am concerned is that this will serve as a template for herd control tactics in other parts of MN.  Understand that the game management agencies have conferences where they talk about managing hunters.  You don't have to look any further than the work of Dr. Gary Alt in Pennsylvania.    I can't put my finger on exactly what is going on with the results the DNR has presented.  Were the samples snuck in by a nefarious actor?  I wouldn't rule it out.  Was the disease always here and just finally discovered?  I don't see why not.  Is there a unique environmental reason that CWD hasn't gotten a broad foothold here?  It's possible.    If the agency had some credibility going into this, I'd be on board pounding kool aid myself, but they don't.  So color me skeptical.  None of the WI border counties along zone 3 have CWD according to this map.  However, Burnett and Polk do and there is no monitoring on our side up there.  Can a scientist explain that to me?  Because the geographic barriers up there are non-existent compared to  the Mississippi River along zone 3.       
    • I made the decision to replace the pump every few years rather than the carpet.
    • On my aluminum skid house I've been using thread cutting stainless steel screws from Fastenal
    • There might be a pleasant surprise in the works.   In the meantime, it is entertaining to watch anyway....      
    • Huh---Guess you must have the butthurt.
    • You are cooking it before you eat it right? I've only heard people using Cure when using dehydrators or may be for jerky when using burger. I have never used the stuff but don't like or make dehydrated jerky.   Seem to still be alive!
    • Creepworm, I am somewhat angry.  The reason it's fool hardy to consider food plots any more threat than a farm field is that the intentions of the planter don't change the flavor of the forage.  A food plot is no more attractive than the edge of a 160 acre bean field that meets a fence line, swamp edge, or grove.     Now imagine there are no farm fields or food plots at all, not even a decent yielding apple tree.  Deer will still communicate via scrape trees and licking branches during the rut.  If the current belief is that the prions spread via saliva, what's to stop wild deer from licking a branch that an infected buck has licked?  What's to stop a buck from rubbing their face all over a contaminated branch?    My fear is that lots of deer are going to be slaughtered in an area that just happens to have been a hot target for eradication before CWD was found.  I'm also worried we're going to get all kinds of bad rules imposed that won't do squat to actually stop the spread if the disease is actually in MN.  I'm worried we'll lose a critical habitat tool that allows us in harsh winter kill areas to help the deer make it through winter (food plots).    It'd be interesting to watch the DNR try to ban food plots.  Good luck defining what is and is not a food plot. 
    • Don't know how they got there.  Maybe they got confused with CWD and wandered up from Iowa.   Or maybe there are a few more but they didn't happen to get shot or didn't get tested.     So, you are a wealthy land owner?  Is the land in 348?     Sure, you are free to question the DNR.   I never said you weren't.   And you, so far as I know, are free to refuse to cooperate with the program to control CWD.   As I have said, that is exactly the response of the land owners in Wisconsin that I recall from back in the day.     However I am curious.   Are you accusing the DNR of planting or fabricating this instance of cwd for some nefarious purpose, like killing most of the deer in that area for unknown reasons?   Or do you just think that these were the only two sick deer and everything will be fine without any action? 
    • Nice product.  Would work great with my Lindell Ice Rigs....
  • Our Sponsors