• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drift Sock Color?

Jack The Ripped

I would like to buy a dift sock soon and I have seen them in many different colors. Black, White, Blue & Red

Does color of the sock scare or affect fish one way or the other? I assume it is best to be less visable to fish.

I guess I would lean toward Black am I wrong??

You want to go with WHITE.....

You want other boaters to see that you have a drift sock out.

Another thing to look for is how easy they open up with a slow drift. I have found that Wave Tamer deploys the easiest.

I really dont think that the color of a drift sock is all that important.. Unless you are going through the trouble to paint clouds or sky on the bottom of your boat, you already are not all that stealthy.. White isnt a bad idea so that other anglers can see that you have one out.. as stated above, I think the quality of the unit is more important that its color.

Why not get a white one, some orange/brown paint, and some markers and color it up like a giant carp. When you drift by the bowfishing guys you can watch them fall out of the boat in surprise!

From underneath, all colors will just show up as a shadow, so from the fish point of view, it shouldn't matter. I use the Lindy drift sock line, and it only hangs out less than 8 feet from my boat. If I have to worry about other boats NOT seeing it, I already have problems as ther is NO WAY another boat should be within 8 feet of my boat!

I wish I would have gone with something more vis, im on my second and made the mistake in buying another blue one but a ski boat just about hit me last year, and viered around my boat but ran over my sock. the jokes on him though cause he had to clean it out of his lower unit and I got some $ for it so, wasnt a complete loss. the funniest part was the skier was a chick and she landed in a thick mat of milfoil, boy that was funny!

I never realy thought that much about it.

I have a white one, because that is what the store had. If they had a neon pink one, then I would have a neon pink one.

Hmm.. I bet Blaze orange would be good..... Or day glow yellow...

Not having a drift sock yet, how far do these things usually float from the boat? I guess I'm thinking like fasternu, if it has to be a certain color for someone to see so they won't hit it, they are already way too close!

I have about six feet of rope between the sock and the boat. 8 may be better. The reason you want other boaters to see you is that when you see a boat with a rope going into the water you think they are anchored. People trolling or motoring will not realize you are moving and this can cause issues. A harness with a buoy or a bright drift sock helps people realized you are drifting.

I liked the lady take on the subject grin I have a big blue "Tide" jug at the base of mine (which matches my D.S. of course!!!) and what does color really matter when your fishing say 20ft/stained water conditions the fish are not going to see that til its too late wink

Why not get a white one, some orange/brown paint, and some markers and color it up like a giant carp. When you drift by the bowfishing guys you can watch them fall out of the boat in surprise!

When you go by them look real, real scared and tell them "Help me, I think I'm being followed."

Gonna have to get your women involved, clearly you should get the color of the drift sock to coordinate with your boat, plus whatever clothing you may be wearing. Someone relocate this thread to the women's forum gringrin

Oh Carp, I have a beige 1750 Fish Hawk with a blue Evinrude 115 Intruder. I usually wear Khaki colored fishing pants or jeans along with a dark blue "Carolina" pullover windbreaker and an Oakland Raider Hoodie underneath. Hat color is usually olive drab with a neck flap. I are so cornfused!?! I'm thinking I need a red one. Help!!

I have a blue one which drifts about 8 feet out from my Burgandy 19 foot boat. If others get close enough to hit my sock that's too close, but I have not had a problem with other boaters.

I don't believe color makes a difference, but it's a real mess when a musky decides to play in the sock. smile

I have a blue, black and had a green one. Didnt make any difference at all. If a boat cant tel your drifting rather than anchored they need some boating help. Usually drifting your boat is sideways and anchored your nose in the wind.

Get a drift sock that is bigger than they say needed for your boat. Get one with a float and weighted bottom because they deploy much faster. Light weight ones that dry quick are also nice.