Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
St_Croix_Banks

How do I skype?

9 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me how to get set up to skype? What equipment do I need for my laptop, etc. Going to China in 5 months and wanted to be able to connect back home with my daughter.

It's been a while since I installed Skype but I believe you download the software ( to each computer ), setup a username and password for each user and then ' find ' each other on Skypes' system.

As for equipment you don't need anything fancy, just a good headset with a boom mic and that is pretty much it. You can get fancy stuff like wireless headsets or handsets but that is up to you, you can find that stuff at Skypes HSOforum also.

I had a client that made a few trips to China a couple years ago, they had Skype installed and it worked great, they loved it.

Mike

If you have a small video camera to connect to both computers you can do video calls - we did that with our grandkids when we were traveling this winter.

MN mike said it the only thing would be the webcams if you want to video conference with your daugther

Its pretty easy and doesn't require anything fancy. My wife and I use it becuase she travels internationally for work.

All you really need is a microphone of some sort, my wifes work laptop as one install in it already. Or you can get a headset for $20-40.

You can either take computer to computer or from computer to phone. My wife would call me on my cell phone from her computer all the time and it works really well.

If you get the webcam you can do video as well. Again the cameras are fairly inexpensive. If also seen headset and cameras sold in a bundle for $40-50 for the set.

Just go to Skype and get your account set up and give it a go, its a great way to make calls internationally.

How do you find someone? I know some people that are on but if i do a search it comes up as no locate.

I was really interested in doing the video if I can. I'll have to get my account set up and I'm sure BB or someone like that sells the equipment.

It seems to me that you may need to know the skype name. I did a search with my last name that didn't find me but my skype name found me right away as well as my full name.