• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stupid bullheads

rushing

Nice northern. That had to be fun on an ultralight!

I picked up about 30 bullheads on Saturday - Froze my butt off catching them too. I started using nightcrawlers but the little sunfish would steal the bait before the bullheads had a chance. I switched to fatheads on a 1/8 ounce jig and BINGO the bullheads wanted those. They were nice fat 7" bullies too.

I'm heading out right now to put those bullheads to work. I hope the wind doesn't blow me off the water.

You know, I have caught walleyes, sunfish, perch, carp, bass and even turtles while fishing for bullheads, but I have never yet caught a northern grin Cool and nice catch rushing grin

If anyone is willing or in the north metro by the Elk River area, I am always willing to part will a couple dozen nice bullies also. I always have plenty or never have an issue with getting them in a short period of time.

Ye nice pike Rushing; good thing you use 20lb copoly when catching bait laugh....must have had your drag dialed in pretty good for that rocket.

5lb power pro...its like fishing with thin sewing thread. Love my ultra light. At first I was just playing with him thinking he would just break me off break so I didn't have to go through the hassle of trying to land it but once I committed to landing him I got him to shore and he broke me off but my shoes were already wet so I went in and just grabbed him.

but once I committed to landing him I got him to shore and he broke me off but my shoes were already wet so I went in and just grabbed him.

You went "all in" just like Jeremy Wade did with that Gooch Cat on River Monsters. laugh

I have a place in mind that I know has bullheads but I know I would have the same problem if I used a crawler with all the tiny sun fish. I see small twisters and flat head minnows work to maybe fix the problem, is there any other good baits that would weed out the small sunnys?

a small minnow will work. Make sure you use a bottom fishing rig. It helps keep the sunnies away. They dont seem to take bait off the bottom as much as they do under a float. I just get a friend to help me pull a seine net usually.