• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mauer

fishin58

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy is amazing. Take note, Twins fans. You're watching something special. Eight HRs in 72 ABs. I'll take the over. I don't know why he's hitting so many dingers this year--just getting the ball up a little more. I think all his homers are opposite field and his outs are hard hit, too. Stay healthy, Joe. I want to see you play for many more years.

I don't know why he's hitting so many dingers this year--just getting the ball up a little more.

His body is also maturing and he's getting stronger. He will only hit more and more every year now.

The guy is an atheltic freak... 6'6" tall and is cat quick behind the plate. Has a gun for an arm. Runs the bases as well as anybody we have. Highly Competitive, what more can you say about his hitting... He is only in his mid 20's!

It is fun hearing all the haters try and backpedal about how he would never be a power hitter... and when is this going to happen. Well, he is maturing and getting stronger, the game is slowing down even more for him now, he could be scary these next few years. (Especially with the other "M" boy hitting behind him)

Mauer, Boggs, and sudden displays of power

Aaron Gleeman

Yesterday afternoon, while the White Sox were waiting to hear if Jake Peavy would accept a trade to Chicago, the Twins handed them a 20-1 thrashing that tied for the most lopsided loss in franchise history. Joe Mauer led the Minnesota attack, going 3-for-4 with a grand slam, two doubles, and six RBIs before an early exit.

Mauer missed all of April with a back injury, but has hit .417/.500/.819 in 19 games since coming off the disabled list. If he had enough plate appearances to qualify, Mauer would lead baseball in batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage. He's such an amazing hitter that batting .417 or getting on base at a .500 clip over a three-week stretch probably shouldn't surprise anyone, but eight homers and five doubles in 72 at-bats is totally unexpected.

Prior to this season Mauer had one homer every 46.8 at-bats and an Isolated Power (slugging percentage minus batting average) of .140. So far this year he has one homer every 9.0 at-bats and an Isolated Power of .402. Barry Bonds, Babe Ruth, and Mark McGwire are the only players in baseball history who've had a season in which they homered more than once every 9.0 at-bats and posted an Isolated Power above .400.

In other words, the 26-year-old two-time batting champion, career .320 hitter, and Gold Glove catcher whose only real flaw has been mediocre power is suddenly driving the ball like three of the greatest power hitters in baseball history. Naturally fans in Minnesota are giddy about the idea of Mauer adding 30-homer power to his already amazing all-around game and even my initial skepticism is starting to fade a bit. But not totally.

Mauer hasn't become more aggressive by abandoning his ultra-patient approach at the plate and he isn't suddenly pulling the ball consistently. Instead he's still taking tons of pitches and going the the other way with most of the pitches that he decides to swing at, but the fly balls to left and center field just seem to be traveling a little further. All of which makes me think that he's probably not turning into a slugger in front of our eyes.

I'd love to be wrong, of course, but what Mauer is doing seems similar to what Wade Boggs did back in 1987. Boggs then, like Mauer now, was an amazing hitter with an exceptional eye at the plate who posted huge OBPs while being criticized for his lack of power. Through his first five seasons Boggs hit .352/.435/.463 and won three batting titles, but averaged just six homers. In his sixth season, Boggs went off for 24 homers.

Through his first five seasons Mauer hit .317/.399/.457 and won two batting titles, but averaged just eight homers. In his sixth season, Mauer seems well on his way to 24 (or more) homers. Of course, the Mauer-Boggs comparison isn't a perfect one. Mauer has already shown more power than Boggs and he's just 26 years old, whereas Boggs was 29 years old in 1987. That certainly makes him more likely to suddenly develop big-time power, but the situations definitely seem similar.

After his out-of-nowhere power display in 1987, Boggs went back to hitting just five homers the next year, never homered even half that many times again, and finished his Hall of Fame career with single-digit homers in 16 of 18 seasons. Will Mauer follow in Boggs' footsteps, perhaps going deep 25 times this year before settling back into the 10-homer range for the rest of his career? Twinsfandom aside, I'm incredibly curious to find out."

I don't think these numbers will continue, he's hot right now is my feeling. With his swing, I don't forsee him averaging more than 20 a year. Not a rip, just a opinion.

I tend to agree.

We all know Joe hates to lift weights and his arms don't look any bigger then last year so this power surge does surprise me a bit. Obviously he's stronger this year but I think Joe could do much better as far as his off season training goes.

Not that it will ever happen but could you even imagine Joe Mauer on Steroids... 100 Home-runs and 250 RBI's per season is not out of the question.. grin

Rock on Baby Jesus!

I'm pretty confident in Joe's offseason training regimen. Regardless of the sport, the days of taking the offseason, well, off, just doesn't happen anymore.

I would chalk Joe's power surge up to just getting older. He's about that age where the body gets thicker naturally.

Still, I'd be lying if the thought of HGH or Roids didn't cross my mind. Even though Joe seems like a great guy, and he's one of us, stranger things have happened.

Don't discount #33 standing in the on deck circle. ESPN radio was just talking about these 2 might be the best 1-2 punch in all of MLB right now. While that is maybe a stretch, it has legs.

Another thing is he is known as such a "good eye" at the plate that pitchers don't get those iffy on the black of the plate calls with him. And Joe is learning all the pitchers now, not too many new ones that can fool him, he may not like to lift weights but he sure seems to study hitters and pitchers tendancies well.

I attended the twenty run beatdown yesterday. He took the ball to the track or better four times if memory serves. He sure doesn't look physically different to me. His outs are even to the warning track though. Just changing your swing can make power. I think things will even out over time though. If his BA slumps at all, he will return to his role as the single-double hitting machine.

Slednecks examples are good though. You don't have to look like Morneau or Thome to hit 30 HR.

Size isnt the be all end all measure of someones strength.

Look at Ryan Braun, that dude crushes the ball and hes only 200lbs and not build like monster.

Evan Longoria also.

and BJ Upton- I think he weighs 100 lbs, but he showed a ton of power in the postseason last year