Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SkunkedAgain

Ceiling Fans

12 posts in this topic

Just bought my first house today! Great feeling...anyway, I definitely want to put a ceiling fan in our bedroom and maybe one or two other rooms. My questions are:

1) What kind of structure should I look for in the ceiling (to support a fan) when I remove the current ceiling light?

2) What kind of characteristics should I look for in a ceiling fan? I don't want the el-cheapo version that'll wobble, be noisy, and break in a few years.

Hunter, or Quorum make nice clg fans. I'd look at paying more than $60-$75. Some will ahve lifetime motor warranties.

Most clg fans require a box that is mounted with metal brackets in between two rafters, not just one that is nailed into the side of one. its easy to switch out boxes if you have access to the attic. Most hardware stores will have the box labeled for this use. pull the insulation back. (shut power off) disconnect old light pull wires up into attic, tear out old box (be careful not to wreck drywall openeing) and install new box in same hole attaching it as instructed by the directions, then feed your wires through and you should be set. i've done a bunch in my previous house and am doing one in my current house this week.

The worst part of the whole job is usually going into the attic.

I need to replace some fans in the house but I also just blew in new insulation into the attic last summer and the memory of being up in the attic is too fresh in my memory right now. VERY HOT and VERY MESSY. I basically have to belly crawl around becuase of low head room.

Maybe in a few years I'll forget how bad it was to crawl around up there and I'll go and do it but not right now.

Like many mechanical devices you get what you pay for with fans. I have had the cheapies, the mid-range and the good ones.

I would highly recommend a Casablanca. I have one that hangs 48 inches below a vaulted ceiling and there is no fan wobble even at the highest speed. The motor has a great warranty and the remote control system works great. I was told that they hand weigh all the parts at the factory to make sure they are perfectly balanced.

ALL fans must be hung from a fan rated box. If you currently do not have a fan in the room then chances are you do not have a fan rated box. They make one that you can install from below so you don't have to go into the attic.

Great to know about the boxes. I haven't ventured into the attic yet but probably will take a look.

Casablanca! That's the name that I was trying to remember. Too bad my uncle doesn't have his lights & ceiling fan store anymore.

All this advice is top notch so I wont repeat it. I will say, though, depending on your cealing height, try to get one that hugs the ceiling as closely as possible if you're ceiling is 8 or 9 feet. Consider how far the light will go down too if there'll be one attached. This is an aesthetic but also functional matter. You dont want to scalp yourself if you're taller. : )

If they do wobble thing is out of balance. Sometimes it can be an easy fix. I put a 56" fan over my boat in garage, if caught in a rain burst, I can dry it out for the next day.

I'll second the remote control feature. I helped my parents install one in their bedroom. Wasn't too hard, took an hour or two. But they gushed about how convenient the remote was.

Cool idea about the fan in the garage Jim! I'm going to remember that one.

I'll third the remote feature. It's awesome. Have had it in my house for eight years and love it. I can do a fan in about an hour, have done many of them.

ALL fans must be hung from a fan rated box. If you currently do not have a fan in the room then chances are you do not have a fan rated box. They make one that you can install from below so you don't have to go into the attic.

All of those that I've installed on pre-existing systems were done from below. No need to go into the attic if you use the right type of bracket.