• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water Softener

Eiger0304

Any pro's or con's on the WaterBoss. I own a Fleck 5600, its worn out (I even rebuilt it twice). Was at FF the other day. Salesman tells me, he has a WaterBoss 700 (I believe thats the model) and just loves it. Regeneration time is about 20min and uses only about 17 gallons of water. The Fleck takes about 1.5 hours and uses 70 gallons of water. Said he had it 10yrs with no problems. Just looking for more input the Waterboss.

Also city waters hardness is 22 and 5 people in the house. Will things last?

Thank you.

I've got a water boss in the place I moved to and don't care for it. I placed one from Sears in the house we moved out of and liked that one a lot.

Water boss didn't hold as much salt and programming was confusing. Sears one was a bit more in cost tho.

In February I replaced my Sears Kenmore softener with a Waterboss 900 series. This was based on input from guys on FM. The Waterboss is compact, easier to program and uses way less salt than my old Kenmore. Keep in mind the Kenmore was 13 years old.

The Waterboss comes with a DVD on how do do the installation and settings.

I installed a Waterboss about a year ago and am very pleased with it. No problems, easy to install, and uses very little salt.

Ditto, but mine is only from last Sept. Uses much less salt than I expected. But its my first one, so I don't know really what to expect.

What is your water hardness? That will play a huge role in what kinda system you buy, and how big of a system. IMHO water boss's are a pretty basic, cheap softener. Which if your water is not very hard may be an option. Fleck makes many of the softeners out there. And are one of the best on the market. Surge, culligan, commers, and many others out there. They are a very high quaility unit. I would recomend a metered system over a timed system as you will save hundreds of dollars in salt each year, only treating the water you use. There are many good units out there. If you want to install yourself I suggest buying from a plumbers supply, like Pipeline, Winnick supply etc... You will be able to get a much better unit that may only be a tad more money than a water boss. Selecting a system really comes down to how hard your water is, and how many gallons you use per week. For example if you have a hardness of 10 and you buy a 24000 grain system you can treat 2400 gallons between re-charge cycles. Hope this helps let us know if you have any other ?

DRH1175 Like my original post said, the hardness is 22 (city water) and have 3 kids. probably use quite of bit of water. All the kids play sports, so probably a few more showers and a bit more laundry than avg.

I bought a Waterboss 900 yesterday. Last day of sale at one of the big 3 home improvement places. I still am a little skeptical about it. I have not opened it up yet still might return it.

Had the Fleck for about 15 yrs. Easy to work on. Very reliable.

I like the fact of less time, less salt, less water and less space. Thats why I am intrested in the Waterboss. Talked to some last night at a store about a GE unit. Sales pitch was great. Says he owns one regeneration time is about 2hrs. Only 80lbs of salt every 6 wks, but its only him and his wife. I am going to research this a little more. Thanks for the input.

Its kind of hard to change from what your use to and what you know. Just looking at cost saving on salt and water. But if the unit doesn't hold up, You really won't save.

We put in the Waterboss 700 in Feb. and our hardness is 30, private well. So far so good. I have it set to meter the usage of water, so it regenerates after so many gallons and then set to regen at like 2:00 am when the gallon usage has been met. I put 2 bags of salt in when I installed it and I am just ready to add more now. Very short regen time. The only thing I don't like is sometimes when the gallon usage has been met and to much water gets used after that mark it will regen and not wait for the set time. Not sure if I got something set wrong though, have not had time to really dig into it. I would give 4-1/2 out of 5 stars on my review.