• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Was I Wrong?

One thing i learned from a buddy was that if you arent catching fish and if others in the boat are switch it up. So this last weekend i was fishing with three other guys. Two of them boated walleyes not long into the trip. I wont go into the positioning of the boat, location or depth, but the two of us who hadnt caught fish were getting the short end of the stick. so anyway i started switching jigs and spinners trying to match the inconsistant speed of the boat. I start getting made fun of because i was changing jigs based on color and size. Am I wrong? does it really not matter that much. I have caught fish when ive changed it up before. Others in the boat were under the impression that i was wasting my time. I ended up catching fish just not walleyes.

You were not wasting you time. If I have a lure that is working and someone else isn't catching fish I always dig in my box and try to give them something like what I'm using. I won't necissarily switch if I'm just one eye behind, but you have to find what works.

change is always good if u know its not working but at the same time sometimes nothing works. picture sitting in an ice house and one side of the house is catching and the other isnt even tho they are less then 10 ft away using the same bait and lure. Somedays fishing just isnt fair, there isnt much u can do about cept steal their spot. What we do when we are trolling and we have a hot rod, we just take turns pulling in fish.

I think there is a point when you can switch it up too much though. I fish with someone who is always looking for the perfect lure for the day. He spends 75% of the time retying, diging in his tackle box, pondering the next color all while not fishing.

At the end of the day you need your line in the water to be catching fish.

If you see your buddy catching them all on a white jig with a fathead then switch it up and put that on. But be patient with it. If it doesn't produce in 5 mintues doesn't mean it won't. Fishing still takes patience and some times its just not fair.

I like having people in the boat trying a little different presentation in the boat so we can find out more quickly what is working. Once the hot combo is identified switch to match what is working.

I try to prerig a few rods with different setups before heading out so I can spend less time retieing.

One time my buddy and I were fishing some flats up north. We were both using lindys with a bare hook in about 6-7' of water with crawlers. After I landed my 4th fish and he hadn't had a bite he looked at my set-up and got all upset. What the heck, you are using the exact same set up, what gives?! I said oh I have been giving my crawler a shot with the worm blower, did I forget to tell you? ;-)

My buddy slays 2 nice cats so I set up the same exact rig (bobber, size of crawler, depth) and land it within 6 inches of his but to no avail. He got 4 more nice ones and I never got a bite.

Sometimes the Master Plan calls for a NetMan and only a NetMan.

We always go on the "one fish on a lure gets a notice, two fish gets a nod, but if you haven't changed up to what's working by the third fish you are foolish" wink

I notice when someone catches a fish. If they go up 2-0 on me, I start thinking I probably need to make a change. If they go up 3-0 on me, there is no way I'm not changing something. The same thing is true if I'm the one catching the fish, I always suggest what they should change to.