• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone know what the clearest lake in MN is?

Bottle Fish

I was wondering if anyone knows what the clearest lake in Minnesota is for scuba diving purposes. It would be great to go in Minnesota and see some of our favorite species in their natural habitat and see some of their behaviors as well.

Water clarity in feet?

Name of lake?

Location?

The clearest I have seen while reading the DNR Lake Finder reports is Ottertrack (21.5' on the Secchi disk), Little Knife(24'), and Knife (21') in Lake Co. It would be a little work to get scuba gear in there though. I would say north part of Superior such as around Isle Royale may be even clearer.

Trout (in St Louis County) has secchi of 16' and I have heard there is some cool stuff on the bottom.

Steve

I don't know if it's the clearest in the state, but Square Lake in Washington County is very popular for scuba divers. It's the best in the twin cities at 16 ft water clarity.

Lake Wazee (spl) in wisconsin is more clear, and very popular as well. My son scuba dives and recommends wazee as well.

I was on Woman for opener back a few years ago and that lake was crazy clear. It seemed like we could still see bottom in 20ft of water. I'm sure you could find a few lakes up in that area that have great water clarity

Gilbert, Clearwater near Brainard mn. I was at Fish Lake near Elysian last winter when the dive team from Owatonna was on the lake, I talked to one of the members and he told me they could see about 18 feet when under the ice.

Ottertail County has many lakes with clarity over 21 feet.

A little Trivial Pursuit tip: Eagle Lake just south of West Battle Lake is the only lake in MN that has fresh water coral. Although I know for a fact this isn't true. Snagged some in Silver Lake (across HWY 78 from Battle Lake). wink

Was on Mille Lacs a few winters ago and my dad dropped his glasses down the hole and you could see the shine of the frames in 25 ft of water. Couldn't tell what they were but you could tell that there was something down on the bottom.

After diving in Square Lake last summer, I'm not a big fan of that lake. I don't know if it was partially due to the time of year, recent boat traffic or an algae bloom, but we had no more than 5-6' of visibility pretty much everywhere. It does have some neat sunken features though to check out if thats your type of thing. I think there are probably others though that are better later in the summer.

The mine pits in Crosby are really clear, and Minnesota school of diving out of brained does a lot of fun dives up there (great way to meet some other divers, and get a tour of the pits). it is the only place that i have dove where you get to swim through trees in 50 feet of water, and on one side of you is a cliff that drops to 200 and some feet.