• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance LMS522c

catfishhunter

Question

My unit keeps cutting out, by that I mean the depth display keeps flashing while Im running and some time even when I'm stopped. Yesterday it read 1.4 ft when I was in 5ft of water. I've put the new download in but I still get the same problems. My friend has the same unit and has taken his back to Cabellas 5 times!! Has anybody else had problems with this unit? If so, How was it repaired?

Thanks

Do a search, there are tons of issues with this unit.

I had the same problems, it was the software problem that lowrance is finally admitted and is now working on a new software version, the beta version. All my units work great now, so I am keeping a down dated version on my computer so if the new version stinks I can go back to the older, now current version.

i have issues with the gps losing position. sometimes its a back and forth between lost and aquired. then other times it takes minutes to find the position. 3rd year with this unit and this is the first problems ive had.

My unit keeps cutting out, by that I mean the depth display keeps flashing while Im running and some time even when I'm stopped. Yesterday it read 1.4 ft when I was in 5ft of water. I've put the new download in but I still get the same problems. My friend has the same unit and has taken his back to Cabellas 5 times!! Has anybody else had problems with this unit? If so, How was it repaired?

Thanks

I have the exact same issue with mine. Mine hardly reads the bottom then totally loses it and changes to 1.6ft. Its depressing. I downloaded the non beta update and it still did'nt work. I didn't reset my unit after installing the downloaded update. Is that something I should do? I guess the beta version is next. The reason I went with Lowrance instead of eagle or hummingbird was quality. I guess I was wrong..

I just installed my 522 and I am having problem with the unit reading bottom while I am going across the lake.....I have a 14' boat with a 15hp and can only go maybe 18mph so I would think that it wouldn't be that I am going too fast......It does read a depth at times but it shows nothing for a bottom just a white screen with depth........also does cabela's or other places download the updated versions for you if you bring in the unit.....I have no clue on how to do that and am not computer savy!! Thanks

If you have a sd card reader its pretty easy. Cabelas would probably do it for you. Go to the Lowrance HSOforum,find downoads/updates, download current version to the sd card, put sd card in the sd slot on depthfinder and turn it on. thats it.

Best advice I can give is to restart the unit to how it was when you got it. You will lose spots or trails you marked unless you save them to your computer. But resetting the unit might work, if it is a simple problem such as some random setting that is wrong or a box was checked that shouldn't be that is affecting your view. I have had no problems with my units and neither have my buddies who run the same thing 7 days a week on the water. You can't go wrong calling Lowrance. They are usually very good about helping out their customers.

if you live close to a scheels they usually have all the downloads to do ur unit with just bring in the head to them..i'm guessing that cabelas can do this to..just give them a call to see if they have the beta version in

thanks guys....I don't know what a sd card is but I am guessing it must look similar to my map chip if it goes into that slot.....maybe I will ask th e wife or go to best buy and search

Ozzie,

Just make sure it is a 1GB or smaller SD card. The 522/520's don't read anything bigger. I learned the hard way after buying a 2G and it didn't work, switched to a 1G and it worked. and yes it is just like your lake chip.

The beta didn't help. I reset it, didnt help. I guess now I call Lowrance and see what they have to say. Would a transducer go out in a year? I did use it in my truck and atv over the winter for the mapping/gps capabilities. I wonder if that screwed something up. I'm going to try and capture a picture on the sd card so I have something to send in.

I've downloaded the new program. It worked for about a month then started doing the same thing, WHAT A PAIN THIS UNIT IS. I called Lowrance and all they say is to bring it in to Cabellas and they'll reprogram it. I explained that I've now done that twice but thats all they say they can do. What a piece of JUNK. I'll never own another Lorance anything!

i'm knocking on wood here

all the problems i'm reading on these threads

from motors to locators

i feel lucky owned lowrance for 20 yrs all the way back to paper graphs never no real big issues a few small ones but i live in brainerd and wenthworth is here so he fixes everything

while i wait

i now have a 520 with no problems except the ownwr learning how to use it lol

i will be installing my old 2160 flasher in my boat just because of confidence in understanding it

I have tried calling Lowrance and its as usual busy with customer complaints. I also tried to e-mail them with no response back.

I will be changing brands as it seems they are not to concerned with their C.S.

I have tried the downloads and also did the rreset with not much for results. I love when I'm in 35fow and it states I'm in 1.6ft.

Great unit.

i'm knocking on wood here

all the problems i'm reading on these threads

from motors to locators

i feel lucky owned lowrance for 20 yrs all the way back to paper graphs never no real big issues a few small ones but i live in brainerd and wenthworth is here so he fixes everything

while i wait

i now have a 520 with no problems except the ownwr learning how to use it lol

i will be installing my old 2160 flasher in my boat just because of confidence in understanding it

Most of us are in the same boat as you. Years and years of use out of a great product.

It sucks to hear about problems people are having with their units, and the run around that corporate customer service give you these days.

Turn on the unit itself with the boat up on the trailor. The ticking should come from the transducer. A normal functioning transducer should have a steady tick tick tick noise comeing from it. Both of the bad transducers I have had were either not ticking at all or off and on. If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a email to [email protected]

Harvy, I hear you fish with Andy once in a while if you are interested we could try to get out fishing and you could plug your unit into my boat to see if it works with a different transducer and trouble shoot it that way...