• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How often to charge with onboard charger

AaronM

Question

12 answers to this question

ALWAYS recharge your batteries as soon as possible after any amount of use. For me, that is one of the first things I do after getting home; plug in the charger, ALWAYS.

Most OB chargers are meant to be plugged in all the time. They continuously monitor the batteries and keep them on an indefinite float charge/maintenance charge as appropriate.

Even with the on board "never have to touch them" chargers, don't forget to occassionally check the water level on your batteries. But I do like most of you, plug it in ASAP after being out and let 'er ride smile

I would caution people from just leaving them plugged in. I put alot of hours on my boat and only put the charger on until they turn green then I unplug them. Otherwise I think it drains the water out of them and make sure to keep them full otherwise its nothing but trouble!

Sure, if it's not a maintenance free battery, one always should keep an eye on the electrolyte level.

However, a "real" charger with float/maintenace mode should not cause any significant drop in level.

Now, if one uses their batteries quite a bit, the heavy initial charging is probably what's causing the level drop, not a float mode.

If you look in the hole, with safety glasses on, you see a notch cut out of the tube that goes to the plate, fill the water to the bottom of the tube. You can purchase a battery fill jug at most auto stores that will stop the water when it is full. Just fill the can, put the plunger on and fill away.