Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zamboni

Click It Or Ticket

174 posts in this topic

So, I am not sure if this has been beat to death or not on here- but which is it- the state being concerned over our well being or the state revving up some revenue? No offense to the motorcycle riders, but it really irks me that we have to wear seat belts but yet there is no helmet law in this state. What a crock

If you don't care about going through the windshield, you shouldn't care about a $100 ticket regardless of what the state's intentions are.

I was amazed when I moved here that there isn't a helmet law. And even more amazed at the number of people that don't wear one. Suppose it doesn't matter much, just keeps someone from scraping brain off the road and gives you a chance for an open casket.

It isn't the fine, it is the states motives I am suspicious about

Maybe it's different in the metro areas of the state, but out in the country and in the smaller towns I've got to think the seatbelt law is the most poorly enforced driving safety law in the whole state. Every once in awhile there are saturation patrols aimed at enforcing the seatbelt law out here in the boonies, but day to day it's pretty much ignored due, I believe, to the differences in cultural traditions between city and country.

I very much doubt it's a conspiracy to fill the state's coffers at our expense. It's just a lot more likely it's one of those laws pushed be people who would rather have the government ensure your safety than you having the choice whether or not to ensure your own safety.

My guess is that it isn't one thing, but a combination of stuff. Not saying I agree with it though.

1. Protect those from their own stupidity

2. Generate revenue

3. Lessen the economic loss from the uninsured injured in accidents.

Maybe the third one is why there isn't a helmet law... It's cheaper to die rather than be quadriplegic.

When I am in town, I don't buckle up, but once I hit the highway it goes on. Just irks me that the state lawmakers think they have to stick their noses THAT far into our business. That is why Ventura never signed the bill when he was in the Gov office

The state is "motivated" to do it the same way they were "motivated" to go .08. $$$$ FEDERAL TAX MONEY$$$$ The feds want seatbelts, this state is actualy one of the few who dont have a "seatbelt law" already on the books.

All I know is that after rolling one about 15 years ago, I don't leave the driveway without one on.

this state is actualy one of the few who dont have a "seatbelt law" already on the books.

Last time I looked we do. They can now (as of 2-3 years ago) pull you over JUST for not having one on. Used to be thay had to pull you over for something else before they could hook you. Not anymore

Check again.

Did you know that rural USPS workers don't have to wear a seatbelt?

Also you don't have to wear one while driving in reverse.

169.686 SEAT BELT USE REQUIRED; PENALTY.

Subdivision 1.Seat belt requirement.

(a) A properly adjusted and fastened seat belt, including both the shoulder and lap belt when the vehicle is so equipped, shall be worn by:

(1) the driver of a passenger vehicle or commercial motor vehicle;

(2) a passenger riding in the front seat of a passenger vehicle or commercial motor vehicle; and

(3) a passenger riding in any seat of a passenger vehicle who is older than three but younger than 11 years of age.

(B) A person who is 15 years of age or older and who violates paragraph (a), clause (1) or (2), is subject to a fine of $25. The driver of the passenger vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in which the violation occurred is subject to a $25 fine for a violation of paragraph (a), clause (2) or (3), by a child of the driver under the age of 15 or any child under the age of 11. A peace officer may not issue a citation for a violation of this section unless the officer lawfully stopped or detained the driver of the motor vehicle for a moving violation other than a violation involving motor vehicle equipment. The Department of Public Safety shall not record a violation of this subdivision on a person's driving record.

Subd. 2.Seat belt exemptions.

This section shall not apply to:

(1) a person driving a passenger vehicle in reverse;

(2) a person riding in a seat in which all the seating positions equipped with safety belts are occupied by other persons;

(3) a person who is in possession of a written certificate from a licensed physician verifying that because of medical unfitness or physical disability the person is unable to wear a seat belt;

(4) a person who is actually engaged in work that requires the person to alight from and reenter a motor vehicle at frequent intervals and who, while engaged in that work, does not drive or travel in that vehicle at a speed exceeding 25 miles per hour;

(5) a rural mail carrier of the United States Postal Service while in the performance of duties;

(6) a person driving or riding in a passenger vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1965; and

(7) a person driving or riding in a pickup truck, as defined in section 168.002, subdivision 26, while engaged in normal farming work or activity.

Subd. 3.Appropriation; special account.

The fines collected for a violation of subdivision 1 must be deposited in the state treasury and credited to a special account to be known as the emergency medical services relief account. Ninety percent of the money in the account shall be distributed to the eight regional emergency medical services systems designated by the Emergency Medical Services Regulatory Board under section 144E.50, for personnel education and training, equipment and vehicle purchases, and operational expenses of emergency life support transportation services. The board of directors of each emergency medical services region shall establish criteria for funding. Ten percent of the money in the account shall be distributed to the commissioner of public safety for the expenses of traffic safety educational programs conducted by State Patrol troopers.

History:

1986 c 310 s 3; 1986 c 444; 1988 c 648 s 1,2; 1989 c 288 s 1; 1991 c 204 s 1,2; 1993 c 26 s 9; 1994 c 600 s 5; 1996 c 324 s 4; 1997 c 199 s 14; 2003 c 92 s 1

This is as of April 2, 2009 according to the St. Trib.

"Under current law, if a driver or front-seat passenger doesn't wear a seat belt, he or she can't be stopped by police unless there is another violation."

Seat belt violation is NOT a primary offense, they can't pull you over for not wearing one. Get pulled over for something else, you'll probably get a ticket for the no belt though.

Still surprises me there are folks who don't wear belts. I've got a buddy who flipped his full size GMC Sierra end over end twice and he is still alive and kicking today because he had his belt on. Also witnessed a nasty accident on HWY 10 east of Moorhead years ago where the one driver got out of the vehicle, yet hysterical, after hitting a stationary vehicle in the traffic lane at what had to be 70mph.

My vehicle doesn't move unless seatbelts are on and that is MY choice.

I don't wear a Helmet because of blind the spots the Helmet's cause and I can't hear whats going on around me. I feel much safer and more in control and aware of my surroundings, not to mention the fatigue factor a Helmet causes.

And for the conspiracy theorist the seat-belt Law is to save lives and great bodily harm, nothing more, nothing less!

This is as of April 2, 2009 according to the St. Trib.

"Under current law, if a driver or front-seat passenger doesn't wear a seat belt, he or she can't be stopped by police unless there is another violation."

I thought they changed that- my bad

Isn't that what this style is for?

ChromeShorty_elg.jpg

That just isn't cool though wink Actually, I don't wear a helmet when I am just cruising around the neighborhood or going for a stroll to Wisconsin, etc. But when I get on freeways or drive it to work, I wear my full face helmet. I know, it doesn't make sense. I have been hit in the face (thank goodness for my full face helmet) by bungies coming of big rigs, and even gravel in the chest, that is why I wear it on freeways.

But I gotta say, there is something that just isn't "cool" and "free" about wearing a helmet. I know its not smart, but if we all do everything concerned only about safety, then we should all be driving our cars no faster than 30, and even that might be pushing it... in the name of safety... boats should have no more than 25hp motors... hehe, the list could go on.

I am glad we don't have a helmet law, but applaud those who wear them consistently. I on the other hand wear a PFD when driving my boat, always when alone, and always with kids on board, and when cold or big waves - I guess I should all the time, but I haven't made that change to 100% yet.... How many of us do THAT religously? I saw what happens when people don't, so that is what changed my mind.

The state is "motivated" to do it the same way they were "motivated" to go .08. $$$$ FEDERAL TAX MONEY$$$$ The feds want seatbelts, this state is actualy one of the few who dont have a "seatbelt law" already on the books.

Agreed 100%. This is ALL ABOUT REVENUE. That and the fact that you can't argue this charge in court. You're either wearing it or not. http://www.dps.state.mn.us/ots/crashdata/2007CFacts/CF07-3-Occupants.pdf

See page 7. In the past 10 years, the number of fatalaties related to seat belt use INCREASED 11%. Once again, if YOU choose to NOT wear YOUR belt...I DON"T CARE!!! It's YOUR LIFE

It's all about the money...

Haven't done the research, but if I had to guess, it's something being driven by the insurance lobby.

Some of you are probably old enough to remember when mandatory auto insurance was instituted in Minnesota. The argument and promise made was that everyone's insurance would go down - because everyone would have insurance, so therefor the cost would be less. As I recall, my insurance doubled within a year or two...

I think we all know I don't like gov't being part of our lives, but I have no problem with the seatbelt law. When I was a kid, I hated them. I lost a few friends to not having seat belts on and that did it for me. I don't drive without it on and actually, have been doing it so long now that it seems weird if I don't have it on. I'm just used to it and it's habbit to put it on now.

As for helmets, might not be as cool or free, but better to look crazy with a helmet on then have your brains all over the road. But that's a choice.

Either way, I would wear my belt and a helmet.

When we talk about helmets, they may not be cool but they will and can save ones life if needed.

In 1984 I was riding around town and a gentleman ran a stop sign. He hit me broadside and I went flying into his windshield.

To make a long story a bit shorter, I spent 8 years out of work due to my head injuries. I ended up having a lobotomy done at the Mayo clinic about 7 years later.

I still wonder today if I had been wearing my helmet if this would have saved me years of medicals issues.

You would not catch me on a bike without one. It may restrict ones view but it could save your life from a mistake from another.

I could have wore a helmet and saved myself years of medical issues and many years of no work. Very dumb move on my part not wearing one. I though geez, I'm only going across town to see my brother and what could happen in that short of a distance.

I tend to believe if I have to wear a seatbelt, cyclists should be required to wear a helmet. OR, as in WI, helmet required under 18, personal option over 18, should be same for seatbelts. Save me the sealt belts save lives speaches, so do helmets.

There is some real crazieness in this,,,,if you choose not to wear your seat belt and go thru the windshield in an accident your still covered by the medical part of your insurance ,,,,but if you ride a motorcycle with out a helmet and have an accident with head injuries some insurance co's will not cover you,,,,,,seems like a double standard to me

LAS

5-12-1973, my only brother was killed in a rollover acccident. Ejected.

11-4-1976, one of my best friends was killed in a rollover accident, ejected.

Think belts would have helped them??

I hit a deer on my bike about 5 years ago. No Helmet, not pretty. But it was MY CHOICE. The only finger I can point is back at me.

I believe America was founded on the right to choose what each person wants. I can't tell you what to do, think, feel, or how to act, but Big Brother has the right to tell you what to do.....as long as it makes us safer. We all know cigarettes don't help your health, seat belts help in car accidents, helmets keep your brains inside the skull, and beating dead horses happens continously in this forum. Maybe the gov should outlaw that last one smile

That being said, I now choose to wear a helmet when I ride, and the truck does not leave the garage without the seat belt fastened. As a Firefighter, I have cut a few people out of vehicles, and will tell you that they do help save lives, but I am fully capable of making up my mind on the matter.