• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Split Rock

Looking for opinions on camping at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park.

Things I like in a park:

Fairly secluded tent campsites (i.e. not looking at your neighbors constantly)

Trails along Lake Superior

Access to get down by the lake

Waterfalls

From the state HSOforum, it seems like Split Rock will fit the bill, but I'd be interested in hearing any opinions from those who have been there.

Split Rock is not unlike the other parks on the Shore. If you don't want to be on top of your neighbors, i'd suggest a hike-in site at the park. You can use a cart to get all your stuff there and you'll be as away from people as you can get at a state park.

I haven't used them at Split Rock, but the ones at Tettegouche are very nice, and have great views of the lake.

I've used the cart-in sites at split rock many times and they are fantastic. I can't think of any waterfalls in the immediate area but that doesn't mean much. I know the north shore is full of them and I didn't explore all that much because I prefer being on the water.

You can get down to the lake easily and there are some artifacts sunken in the bay that are easy to see.

You will enjoy this park very much.

Been there, done that too. Unfortunately it ruined my wife for any further camping.

It was 90+ degrees the whole time with thunderstorms each night. Plus carting out in a heavy rain. frown

Not a fair judgment of the site. It would have been fantastic with better weather.

Split Rock cart in sites are my favorite. There are some right on the lake that are absolutely fantastic. Lots of great college camping trips were taken there.

We tried to get two or three this summer and were too late. They book up very far in advance for the weekends. We're at Cascade St Park instead, my 2nd favorite on the north shore.

OOHH no I just put up a new post about camping at split rock! How far are the weekends booked at the park? What would you recommend on the north shore that has good camping next to the lake? And that has a good distance away from other sites?

Well, our trip is coming in less than two weeks. What are some things we need to do/see while we're there?

Also, how secluded are the sites? Are we gonna see people strolling past a lot, or are the sites set pretty far off the path (we've got sites 03 and 11).

Thanks!