Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mngirl

Plants for a friend

8 posts in this topic

I'm helping my friend this weekend with some landscaping and am trying to get some ideas for some flowers in the front yard. We have already decided on the early season plants, but what would be some great, colorful flowers/plants to put in that are somewhat mid-summer to late summer bloom? Thanks! smile

need a little more info.

Full sun? part sun or shady?

It's the front where it will get sun for most of the day as there are not many trees in the yard. I think something low maintenance...but something with great color, something that can just grow and wouldn't really need any pruning or need such maintenance. I have some ideas for them, but I want some more ideas before we start designing it out.

Another question actually, can pine trees kill other trees that are planted around them? My friend wants to plant a tree by the neighbors pines, but the one that is there is dying and I am not sure if it is because of how close it is to the pines. Or am I just thinking of something else?

We have already decided on tulips and lilies, so something along those lines, but I want them to branch out a little smile.

check out a smoke bush. They are a nice purpley color and dont seem to grow that fast...at least ours didn't. But pruning wouldn't be that bad on it.

smoke-bush-border.jpg

smoketree_2.jpg

Pines won't have any effect on what u plant around them. Look for more acid loving plants for around pines.

I think they would like something like this, thank you so much smile.

I wish I had space for a Royal Purple Smokebush. Very beautiful shrubs and very tough.