• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sinkers always slipping on fireline

MNSnow

I can't get my sinkers to stay in place when I use Fireline. Does anyone have a suggestion (besides not to use Fireline). It seems that after every cast the split shot sinker has worked it's way right down next to the jig.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Place a slip-bobber stop just below your split shot. When you put a split shot on, use a pliers or something with a bit more torque to clamp it tight....making sure that your line is in the center of the split shot helps alot as well. I've also attached a split shot directly over the bobber stop knot and that has worked very well. Good luck.

I do all the above, it all depends on what I'm trying to catch. I use the bobber-stop for lindy rigging to hold the weight in place, wrap the line around twice for shot rigging, I tie on a 3ft piece of mono for clear water jigging.

All the above are good options and it's not just superlines but light mono line as well.

The problem is this; over the years they've gotten cheap and are cutting the lead with tin and other metals. The lead used for wheel weights for example is about half tin. It makes it much harder and durable and they don't go flying off at 60 mph.

That's fine for wheel weights but lousey for split shots. The lead /tin mixture also sets up faster and works well in a high speed production setting. The problem is it's too hard.

The harder alloy doesn't grip the line as well as pure lead. In fact if you sqeeze it on hard enough it will actualy dent or kink the line and create a weak spot where the line will then break under pressure.

Pure lead shot is tough to find these days because of it's toxicity and most domestic manufacturers won't work with it because of the liability.

The only one around anymore is the Thill pure lead split shots. It's poured overseas and is made of pure lead. Pure lead is very soft and gently grips the line and conforms to it without causing any damage. And yes it's a bit more expensive but not too bad.

I've used them for years and not had any problems. You simply press the weight on with your thumb and forefinger and that baby stays glued.