• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

King of The Turtles

ec30_06

Dang LFC, that's a good way to end up wiping your butt with a hook for the rest of your life!

I bankfished on the Crow with a fellow who caught a big turtle like that... They are nasty buggers! I couldn't tell from the audio, did that one hiss at you at all?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one I saw pulled out of the Crow was bigger than that one about the same size as that one. It had the hook removed - along with it's head. The guy I was with supposedly made a soup out of it, although I never heard how that turned out.

It was a great big mean filthy beast, too. It was hissing at us and trying to take as many of us with him as he could. I had the 'sobering' ( wink ) experience of holding the light and watching this bizarre chain of events unfold.

The poor bugger certainly didn't deserve that kind of death - I imagine they are pretty old once they get to that size. If I were a more outspoken person (& knew the guy better) I would have lobbied to cut the line and let him go.

That turtle was hissing. He was had a serious "MEAN ON"

And it stank pretty bad.

It was a slow night fishing and we were in the mood to goof around..... but like I said. I won't do it again, and would not recommend anyone else doing it. Unless of course your looking for a new nick name. Capt. Hook.

He almost got a piece of me that night.

I have almost lost many fingers by doing just that. Until I was watching a croc hunter episode where Steve was talking about how snappers can't strike your hands or arms when you grab the shell behind the head and down by the tail. Now a days I have a buddy pull on the line then grab the neck at the base of the head. That way you can control its movements and have a fast and easy.

Nice one da_chise31! Gotta love them snappers.

Here's one I posted sometime before probably back in june or july, but I think the pic deserves to be in this thread:

dscf1300.jpg

Only Larry would bring a Snapper in the boat! grin

I can NEVER pass up a chance at catching a snapper with my own two hands for a quick picture wink This one was basking on shore and almost got away, but I was too quick!

Nice turtles! I had a snapper as a pet for several years--caught it at 50 cent size and let him go when he was the size of a pie plate. Learned that you can't trust a "tame" snapper, and that they'll bite through a painted turtle shell like sponge cake. Other than that, they are cool pets...

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild
Strange pose...

lol I was half sitting on my seat cushion for balance, I didn't want to drop and hurt the guy if he started being a grumpy pain. They're freakin' heavy too!

Yeah I bet it was pretty heavy. Just looked kinda funny haha.

K you guys can call [PoorWordUsage] on this but i swear to god its true.

About 15 years ago i was at the coon rapids dam and i saw this guy catch a good size snapper. After he has it unhooked he tells me when he was a kid he and his buddys used to pick them up by hte bottom jaw. So of course i call his [PoorWordUsage] and promptly bet him 5 bucks he can't do it as it would remove part of his thumb.He takes teh bet, and quickly snatched that thing by the bottom jaw bass style and raises it to shoulder height and back down. I was in complete awe and express my dismay at this so he did it again.

The only thing i can think of is with its lower jaw supporting all its body weight it could not close its mouth. I would never try this myself nor do i think it a wise choice to replicate, but it was something to see

If you ever get down to Springfield MO. stop by the Bass Pro there. They have a snapper the size of a volkswagon (little exaggeration but not much). If I remember correctly they had paper on it showing it was over 120 years old.

wow!! I figured I'd peg the guy in my pic at around 50 years or something, it's so incredible these guys can live for so long.

K you guys can call [PoorWordUsage] on this but i swear to god its true.

About 15 years ago i was at the coon rapids dam and i saw this guy catch a good size snapper. After he has it unhooked he tells me when he was a kid he and his buddys used to pick them up by hte bottom jaw. So of course i call his [PoorWordUsage] and promptly bet him 5 bucks he can't do it as it would remove part of his thumb.He takes teh bet, and quickly snatched that thing by the bottom jaw bass style and raises it to shoulder height and back down. I was in complete awe and express my dismay at this so he did it again.

The only thing i can think of is with its lower jaw supporting all its body weight it could not close its mouth. I would never try this myself nor do i think it a wise choice to replicate, but it was something to see

we had a snapper hanging in the tree waiting for the head to get tired so we could clean it and throw it in the crock pot. our springer decided to investigate what was hanging, and after yelling at the dog to no avail, he did in fact figure it out. it caught the very top tip of his nose, and I have never seen a dog before or after completely flip over backwards like that and take off running,lol it was hilarious to watch.