• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye on the grill

After opener came home to cook up some walleye filets only to find out no crackers in the house, no shore lunch!!! Decide to cook them on the grill. Took a piece of tin foil and mopped it with melted butter placed the filets and seasoned with lemon pepper. Cooked for about five min. per side. Oh my God they were awesome. Health too. No smell in the house even the wife was happy.

I will have to try them on the grill some time. I get so used to cooking them one way that it is hard to experiment. Almost need the no ingrediates problem sometimes to force you into fixing them another way.

Also a bonus to make the wife happy.

You can cook them with butter or oil on the tinfoil. You can also cook them like salmon with the skin-on side directly on the grill. You can use just about any spice or liquid (lemon juice, mustard, bbq sauce, etc.) that you'd like.

It's hard to screw up cooking walleye. However, it's harder still to convince people to try something different.

I agree, everyone that thinks of eating walleyes automatically thinks of frying, not that it's bad or anything but there are alternates to cooking up your catch! Makes things a little more interesting.

My kids favorite way to have walleye is with yellow mustard. I also cook it in parchment paper with some wine, lemon slice parsley and some Frank's hot sauce. The wife loves it.

One of my favorite ways to cook walleye would be on the grill.

Take a sheet pan the will fit on your grill. Line it with foil.

Take sliced butter pads and place about half a stick in little chunks. Place filets on top of them. Sprinkle lemon pepper and garlic salt on filets.

Then finely chopped onions on top.

Then to top it off a sweeter BBQ sauce on top of the filets.

Bake until done.

You can't describe it until you try BBQ Walleye.

Here's a nice trick: Leave the skin on. If you leave the skin on you can skip the foil and place directly over the heat as long as it's not too hot. When the fish is done the fillet will peel right off the skin.

Better yet - plank 'em. Leave the skin on and grill 'em on a cedar plank skin side down(apple or hickory work too). Soak the plank in water for at least an hour prior to placing on the grill; 2-4 hrs is better.

I like to leave the skin on and place them on the grill. I first damp them of with a paper towel, then use the spray on butter then put whatever you want on them. The wife's favorite is raspberry hot sauce on top of them. Or cinnamon and brown sugar. My favorite is a maple and jalapeno rub with just a little shore lunch on top. Can't wait till the next batch.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. You don't have to bread fish and deep fry them. Broiling, baking, microwave, and grilling are all excellent choices to add variety and better health. Bon appetite!