• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Much Do You Know About Flathead Catfish Game/Quiz?

Shack

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer to question #5 is C

C) The male guards the nest and the newly hatched fry, becoming aggressive toward the female.

Source: Tom Qwak, Ph.D, Unit Leader, NC Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Reseach Unit

Yep, the male sure takes over when it comes to the spawn. grin

5/17/2009

Question #6

Approximately how many eggs are in one pound of flathead spawn:

A) 1000

B) 3000

C) 6000

D) 10,000

The answer to question #6 is B

"There are 3,000 eggs in a pound of flathead catfish eggs. An average sized spawn for a 10 - 20 pound fish is 6,000 - 10,000 eggs."

Source: Lost Valley Hatchery, Missouri

I know when I have had flats let their eggs go in the boat, there is a ton that come out in seconds grin I am not sure if they stop ejecting them once they hit the water, but in they go right away. I want to get them back in the water to stop the flow of eggs (possibly), but more for that fact that flathead spawn is hard to clean up, especially when it dries wink

All right 3 more to go grin.

Thanks to all who have been following along smile. I am no fisheries biologist, but find it fun learning about the flathead catfish. The more I learn, the more I admire this fish. Like Scott (DC31) said earlier in this thread, there is just not that much info/research in regards to the entire lifespan of the flathead. Hopefully the more the general public knows about them, the more they will realize how important they are and further studies will result smile.

5/18/2009

Question #7

Prior to spawning, a male flathead will swim

adjacent to the female, rubbing against her with his:

A) Mouth

B) Tail fin

C) Eyes

D) Belly

E) Dorsal fin

Ya slow hand, but I figured as such when posting a question worded like this grin

I think most got out tonight. I did for a couple hours down on Pool 2 from shore. Tried some new spots with no luck. As Mplspug would say the nature was nice.

Thanks HKK for giving a true answer, grin but I do not blame the others for their answers, because I knew it was coming. I could not resist my self. Just having some fun until I get out this weekend. Maybe this will give some of the guys something to talk about in the boat.

Knowledge is the key to success and knowing a little about the species you target never hurts wink.

The answer to question #7 is C

"Prior to spawning, a male flathead will swim

adjacent to the female, rubbing against her with his

belly and with his barbels"

Source: Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

Bureau of Fisheries Management

Sorry for the late response today. I got busy. smile

I figure we have learned enough for now grin, and since 7 is such a nice round number, we will call it over. I started this quiz to help others find out a little info on flatheads that they might not know but I also started it to help get us pumped for the "hot bite". Looking at the cat forum activity I think we are pumped enough now wink.

Well, class is let out early so we all can go fishing. grin This applies to work also so feel free to tell your boss that Shack said you can get off early to fish wink

By the final count I declare Here-Kitty-Kitty The FM/HSO Flathead Quiz Champion of 2009 (feel free to put that one in your signature) grin

A major honorable mention goes out to: Rushing and Surreal Deal for their diligent participation smile. I would also like to thank everyone who answered questions and followed along.

Maybe we learned something or maybe not. The end result is that the flathead catfish is Minnesota's number one apex predator when it comes to any fresh water species (fish) and the toughest fish on the block wink Anyone tells you any different, well they are just wrong. If a state record musky and a 70lb plus flathead where put in a tank together and allowed to battle it out, you know who the winner would be wink. Flathead hands down grin.

Thanks again and maybe we will do another one next spring. smile