• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How Much Do You Know About Flathead Catfish Game/Quiz?

Shack

Since we have pretty much mulled over every aspect about how-to fish for flatheads in this forum grin, I figure it would be a fun idea to start up a thread where others who are new to flathead catfish (and maybe some who are not) can learn a little bit on what it means to be a flathead.

We all know how and have the tools to go out and catch flatheads, but how much do we really know about these mysterious, sometimes forgotten and untold fish? confused. For some, it is all about jumping in the boat or heading down to shoreline and casting out a bullhead and flipping the clicker button to "on". For others (including my self), digging deep into how Minnesota’s top freshwater predator lives its life and even dies, is more than a just a fun and cool thing to do but can also possibly help a person with finding the big daddy or girl we all dream about grin.

OK grin

Instead of just posting random studies, final reports or articles from biologists sleep, I would think having a quiz game type format might be a little more fun than reading 40-90 pages of material wink. So, what will happen is I will post one question a day around 9:00am-10:00am. The question could be anything from multiple choice, multiple answer or any sort of question that requires an answer to be given. After the question of the day is released, members can post their answers for the next 24 hours or until the next question is submitted the following morning. At this time the next days question will be submitted. Since the object of this game is to learn a little background on flatheads, the questions will start out easier and get a little more in-depth as we go on (kind of on the lines like the show "who wants to be a millionaire) wink. This game/quiz will go for a total of 10 days (with the first question being submitted on May 12th and the last question being submitted on May 21st.). After the last day I will total up which member(s) had the most correct answers and display the winner or winners. Anyone registered to FM is eligible to participate. Please just use this thread to post answers and just the answers. smile

I can not stop anyone from taking the easy way out and doing a quick search on the net for the answer, just keep it fun smile Just answer the best you can, but on the second hand if people are combing the net for the correct answer, they just might find them selves reading and learning even more about this great fish wink. Food for thought, not every answer might be found on the internet. All sources of information are fair game in this quiz and the source of the info will be provided if requested winkwink.

If anyone has any further questions about how to d the quiz or would like to know more about the questions I post, please feel free to e-mail me. If you have thoughts on the question submitted, feel free to post about them or start another thread about your question about the question confusedgrin

Ok, let’s have some fun and start this thing off. grin

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5/12/2009

Question #1

Fill in the blank. All you need to do is just post the letter next to the answer that you feel is correct.

Quote:
Flathead catfish are most closely related to the Satan genusGenus

A genus is a low-level taxonomic rank used in the classification of living and fossil organisms. The taxonomic ranks are domain , kingdom , phylum, class , order , family , genus, and species....

of fish. They grow to a length of 155 cm (61 in) and may weigh up to 56 kg (123 lbs). Their maximum recorded lifespan is ___ years.

Males are mature from 16 cm and 4 years of age while females mature from 18 cm and 5 years of age, but may mature as late as 10 years.

A) 10 years

B) 20 years

C) 40 years

D) 60 years

E) 100 years

I googled it.

LOL, I got katoguy to google info on flatheads grin That made my day right their grin

Quote:
Can I still play? lol

Sure smile , if you do not know it you could post an answer fisrt and google to check your self. Or you could google it first and then post and answer. Either way this is just for fun wink

I was kind of sticky on the rules at first but changed them up a little. If you want to post about the question by all means go ahead. smile

I am not the Quiz Nazi and who ever sent me that e-mail is not funny smirk

I want to say D, but you are asking the maximum recorded. I'd be more inclined to chose 80 if it were a choice. Knowing the record size, I'll choose E - 100.

Sounds like someone on Who Wants to be a Millionare vocalizing their choices after they spent their last lifeline laugh.

I'll go 60.